Life, Lately

July 5, 2013 · 11 comments

The weird thing about not over-sharing your life on the internet…about unplugging and just living it…is that it kind of makes you want to sit down, drink too much coffee and tell people just exactly what’s in your brain again.

This is that.

Also…it’s the best way I know how to say, I’ve missed you.

And, I made chocolate chip cookies with vanilla pudding in them two days ago. Life.changed.

cookie dough

Seriously. I’m somehow inspired to make cookies with every pudding flavor ever and put them in your face. We’ll get there. First, there are some important things you should know.

I accepted a full-time teaching job! It’s at a career/technical high school in the same district where I worked last year (only part-time, and with adults). I’m teaching seniors, and currently writing lesson plans for a Hunger Games unit and so, so excited.

We (finally) found a church, and I feel settled and at peace and challenged and blessed all at once. I’m learning (real talk: fighting to learn) that God is using this chapter of my life for good.

Little things are happening too. Little summer things that I love like making homemade jelly with my mom.

jam making

Like buying green beans from the Amish at farmers markets…then sauteeing them with sesame seeds.

green beans

And planting flowers that (#knockonwood) aren’t dead yet!

dahlias

(We play fetch a lot.)

fetch

Dogs are not allowed in bed in this house. But, in the summer, when we kick the blanket off, Hunter leaves his cozy bed to lay (shed) all over it.

hunter under blanket

I’m obsessed with organizing these days, and determined to be entirely unpacked/organized before the new school year starts. My husband built this shelf to make use of an otherwise (really) small laundry room. I love that there’s a place for everything…even the clutter that gets hidden in baskets.

Laundry Room Shelf // Baking Serendipity

Up next, we’re setting up an office in the basement. And baking cookies. Obviously.

Christiane ~ Taking On Magazines July 5, 2013 at 11:12 am

Bravo on finding a church! It’s amazing how settled we can feel inside once that’s taken care of. My dad once asked me why people are willing to move to be near a specific job, but never move to be near a specific church. Good question. I miss that ‘please play fetch with me’ look, but not enough to get another dog.

Congrats on the new job. You’ll be an awesome teacher.

Baking Serendipity July 5, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I never thought of it that way before either!

Karen C. July 5, 2013 at 11:47 am

Great to hear from you again. Glad all is going well. Missed your blog posts. Good luck @ the new job. Tell your mom hi from me.

Kristen @ Swanky Dietitian July 5, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Love hearing what you have been up to.
It is nice to take some time off and just enjoy. Your laundry room looks great! I have been on an organizing kick myself.

SimplyLife July 6, 2013 at 8:14 am

So glad to see a post for you! Can’t wait to hear more about life! Congrats on the job!

Sarah July 7, 2013 at 10:10 am

Really glad to see you back! Excited for more posts from you. I hope you like the new teaching job – getting paid to discuss Hunger Games doesn’t sound too bad… ;)

Cassie | Bake Your Day July 7, 2013 at 2:28 pm

So glad to hear things are going so well for you, Sarah! I love pudding cookies, too!!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts July 8, 2013 at 9:24 am

Congrats on the new job!! Sounds like things are settling down for you, that must be a wonderful feeling!

Wendy | Around My Family Table July 8, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Hi, I was just stopping by to grab your email addy to invite you to Blended Conference in AZ this September, but couldn’t find it. We’d love to have you join us…so check out http://www.blendedconference.com for all the details (fyi, early bird registration ends 7/15).

Baking Serendipity July 8, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Thanks! I’d love to make it, but no longer live in AZ and the travel would be too much :( I appreciate you thinking of me though!

ps: e-mail is baking.serendipity@gmail.com

Kitchen Belleicious July 10, 2013 at 2:59 pm

so glad to hear you back again! Glad you got the new job and hope it goes well! Make sure to bring us back one of your amazing recipes:)