Avocado and Dark Chocolate Chip Pancakes

February 17, 2013 · 16 comments

Avocado and Dark Chocolate Chip Pancakes | Baking Serendipity

Navigating life in a new city is hard work.

You get lost driving to the post office. You have to sample every frozen yogurt flavor at every frozen yogurt shop. Okay…maybe that one’s a small luxury. You get majorly caught in the mess of church shopping.

When I say you…I obviously mean me. You’re smart enough to look up directions/wait for the GPS maps to load before you commit to driving.

Avocado and Dark Chocolate Chip Pancakes | Baking Serendipity

Can we real talk this church business? Or is the internet like public school and one of those awkward places to say you believe in Jesus, but wish He’d throw a really, really good church on your Sunday morning radar?

PS: Friends in Phoenix…this is exactly the place you should be.

PPS: Friends in Cleveland/Akron…what large(ish), contemporary, Bible based churches do you love? I need recommendations/help, and I’m basically at the point where I’m willing to drive far distances for a place to challenge me.

Avocado and Dark Chocolate Chip Pancakes | Baking Serendipity

For Lent this year, rather than give something up, I made the decision to attend church every Sunday. This used to be a no bigs feat…it was my favorite part of the week. But now, I keep showing up in churches…and I awkwardly just don’t like how they do church. I know I’m not supposed to judge…but it’s just not working for me.

(I might overuse … in uncomfortable situations.)

I’m ashamed to admit that meh church experiences burn me the heck out. I felt like a needed/deserved a rebound week or two to just drink coffee and read the Bible at my kitchen table. It’s just the (ugly) truth.

I’m totally giving up these rebound weeks. It’s why there’s pancakes involved.

I’m praying that I find a church home before Easter…or at least before the Costco jar of maple syrup runs out.

Also…I put two smashed avocados and a lot of dark chocolate chips in my pancakes this morning. Honestly, sometimes I eat pancakes and I’m hungry again an hour later. Avocados totally fixed this dilemma. A little extra good fat goes a long way.

These pancakes are thick, but also soft and creamy. (Thanks avocados.) They have little flecks of green, and melty chocolate all over the place.

Seriously…sometimes I can’t decide if I like avocados more with lime or chocolate. What I mean is…these pancakes are major. And, I really want to invite you to my house for pancakes and coffee and then visit your church. Are we that good of friends yet?

Thanks. xoxo.

Avocado and Dark Chocolate Chip Pancakes

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 medium avocados, mashed (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine flours, sugar and baking powder. Set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, milk and canola oil. Set aside as well. In a third bowl, smash avocado. Add liquid ingredients to dry, stirring just to combine. Fold in avocado and dark chocolate chips. Spoon batter onto a greased griddle (or into a greased skillet). Flip when the edges begin to dry, cooking evenly on both sides. Serve warm, with butter and maple syrup.

Yield: about 12 (generous sized) pancakes

Sara826 February 17, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Those look fantastic! I have to try these this weekend!

kim@hungryhealthygirl February 17, 2013 at 8:25 pm

I absolutely love the idea of adding avocado to pancakes. You’re right sometimes pancakes just don’t fill me up.

rebecca February 17, 2013 at 10:47 pm

these look amazing all the best finding a church i used to live in Cleveland but couldn’t really recommend

Lena February 17, 2013 at 11:40 pm

OMG! It looks so tempting yet Healthy! I must try this and thanks for sharing :)

Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations February 18, 2013 at 4:57 am

What an interesting combo! I hear you on the church search. With our current traveling and frequent location changes it is hard to find a church every Sunday, and much harder one with your worship style.

Emily @ Life on Food February 18, 2013 at 6:30 am

I can totally see the green in the first picture. I love it. St.Patrick’s Day here I come.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 18, 2013 at 8:46 am

Sorry about the hard time your having finding a good church! Keep looking! You will find one.

Now these pancakes are amazing! I would have never thought of avocado in pancakes, great idea! You need to check out what I did with avocados today! I thought my concoction was weird then I saw yours and realized I’m not the only crazy one!! :)

Have a great day! Keep your chin up!!

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings February 18, 2013 at 10:11 am

wow– i would never think to put avocado and dark chocolate together. wow

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction February 18, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Mm, these sound like some fantastic pancakes! Love the avocados!

Trisha February 18, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Avocado in pancakes?! Genius!!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust February 18, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Okay, you know me and avocado. I want this for breakfast!

Cinnamon @ eatpraytri February 19, 2013 at 12:53 pm

after a three-ish month church we finally found our church home in our new city. What a relief. I can totally relate with your struggle. Lots of prayer helped us and also a acceptance that our new place wouldn’t be our old place (which we loved so much.) It would have its own benefits and struggles. But out of all the places we went, it felt “the most” like home. We know God will bless our time there. I will pray you find that too! and soon!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts February 19, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Note to self…pick up a few extra avocados at the grocery store this week.

Kitchen Belleicious February 19, 2013 at 3:43 pm

you are so creative! This is a combination I must try and soon. I love the idea. I can see how the avocado pairs well with the chocolate! YUM!

Kristen @ Swanky Dietitian February 19, 2013 at 10:46 pm

These look just fabulous!
Seriously, avocado is such a delicious addition!

Jennie @themessybakerblog February 26, 2013 at 9:00 am

Good luck with the hunt. Church hunting is a time-consuming task. These pancakes looks yummy, and I think reading the bible at home with a cup o’ joe and a stack of these is a good deal.