Crescent Breakfast Squares

February 14, 2013 · 11 comments

Crescent Breakfast Squares | Baking Serendipity

High schools are the worst places to be on Valentine’s Day. I know this as a student, and as a teacher. It’s a little bit like the Bachelor…meets real life. In every little clique. My head sort of spins remembering this.

Can I just tell you…there are a lot of days I miss Arizona and the school where I used to teach. Today is really not one of them. Today I went to work with preschoolers and toddlers dressed in suits and ties for Valentine’s Day parties.

Really…I’m not convinced there’s anything cuter than fancied up babies. And I’m pretty completely obsessed with puppies.

This has nothing to do with breakfast. It’s just what’s in my world today.

This breakfast actually happened last weekend…when I woke up in my sister’s house, determined to make a morning meal with just what was in the fridge. I like these sort of challenges.

PS: I used all the eggs in breakfast, and then wanted to make a cake. Challenge number two.

Crescent Breakfast Squares | Baking Serendipity

Crescent rolls are divided into squares (four per package), and spread with a thin layer of butter.

Bacon is fried. (Confession. I’m a turkey bacon eater.) Eggs are scrambled. You could definitely saute vegetables at this point too. I just woke up late and didn’t want to bother with the extra step. (Real life.)

I folded the bacon and eggs into the crescent roll, with a generous amount of cheddar cheese.

Crescent Breakfast Squares | Baking Serendipity

Can everything in life be this simple?

Crescent Breakfast Squares | Baking Serendipity

Crescent Breakfast Squares

1 package Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
1/2 tablespoon butter
4 slices cheddar cheese
6 slices (turkey) bacon
4 eggs
salt and pepper, to season

Unroll crescents into four squares on an ungreased baking sheet. Spread with butter, top with cheese slices and set aside. Fry bacon, and crumble atop cheese. Scramble eggs and spoon atop bacon. Season with salt and pepper. Pull the sides of each square up toward the center, folding the dough to create a pocket. Bake in a preheated 375° oven for 15-18 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust February 14, 2013 at 9:27 pm

This is a breakfast sammie I would eat! YUM!

And V-day as a teacher. I hated all the sugared fury! Or maybe I was jealous because no one ever brought me any, ha!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. February 14, 2013 at 11:08 pm

These look so good! Great to take on the go too!

Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations February 14, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Mmm..these look yummy. I love my bacon and eggs on a bun. Baking them right in is a fantastic idea!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake February 15, 2013 at 6:13 am

Love this idea!

Emily @ Life on Food February 15, 2013 at 7:57 am

I miss the little Valentine’s Day cards. But I do not miss anything else about younger year Valentine’s Days. Thank goodness for wonderful husbands, chocolate, and wine.

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! February 15, 2013 at 8:03 am

These look so great! Awesome for a weekend morning. I’ve been on a Pillsbury crescent roll kick lately, trying to come up with new ideas for them… This one is wonderful!

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings February 15, 2013 at 8:27 am

yum! seriously, everything is better in a crescent roll!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction February 15, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Mmm, I’m thinking that these would make a great breakfast tomorrow!

Sara826 February 15, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Looks really yummy! Good for dinner and breakfast!

Monet February 16, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Haha. I remember what it was like to have a classroom on Valentine’s day. You are a brave brave woman! These squares would give me all the necessary and courage though. They look so delicious! Thank you for sharing with me. I hope you had a fabulous week, and I hope your weekend brims with good food, laughter, and love.

Sarah March 3, 2013 at 11:15 am

These were absolutely delicious! We are trying to be more vegetarian, so while leaving out the bacon, I added a few slices of Velveeta cheese which made these extra rich and gooey. Will definitely be making these again. Love coming to your site – I always find something new I can’t wait to make. Thank you for the recipe!