Chocolate Covered Strawberry Bread

February 9, 2013 · 15 comments

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Bread | Baking Serendipity

I awkwardly/not so nicely delight when there’s snow…like a lot of snow…in places where I’m not.

It’s a character flaw. I get it.

But sunshine feels like a special treat when you know it’s not everywhere…and it is on your face.

PS: I woke up to sunshine and cinnamon rolls and a long weekend with my sister this morning. I have plans to eat guacamole for lunch (this food magically tastes better when it’s warm) and wander the military version of Target all afternoon. It’s relax mode…and I’m totally in it.

PPS: If there’s snow where you are, I’m infinitely sorry. I hope it melts soon, and you have strawberries in your house already for bread making.

One more thing…I think this storm is reason number 458528 I could never live in New York.

Yes. I did just type a lot of numbers without looking there.

And chop chocolate covered strawberries to fold into a chocolate chip quick bread. It’s a Valentine’s Day thing. Go with it.

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Bread | Baking Serendipity

The first thing you should know about this bread is this: It’s a really good idea to dip extra strawberries in chocolate when you make it. Some are for snacking when you’re cooking (obviously). Others are just because chocolate covered strawberries living in your fridge (for five minutes) feels fancy…and like a really good idea.

Next, chopping the strawberries is a little tricky. The chocolate definitely cracks and falls off sometimes. It all makes it into the bread though, so in the end, no bigs.

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Bread | Baking Serendipity

Finally, adding extra (dark) chocolate chips ensures extra chocolate throughout.

I’m awkwardly into transition words these days. Also…chocolate, Valentine’s Day and sunshine. It’s real life…and it’s perfect.

Stay warm, friends!

2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips, tossed in 1 teaspoon flour

Melt chocolate, and dip strawberries. Set aside for at least one hour for chocolate to harden. Then carefully slice the strawberries (into fairly thin slices, or they’ll water and weigh down the bread). Don’t be worried if the chocolate cracks.

To make the bread, melt butter. Once it’s cool, whisk in sugar, vanilla and eggs. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet, then the milk, and then the remainder of the dry ingredients. Stir just to combine. Fold in chocolate chips and chopped strawberries (making sure you get the chocolate that fell off the strawberries into the batter too). Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake in a preheated 350° oven for 50-55 minutes.

Emily @ Life on Food February 9, 2013 at 3:16 pm

We have snow. Lots of it. 33 inches lots of it. Wishing I had strawberries.

mangiabella February 9, 2013 at 4:26 pm

i have been craving choco covered strawberries – what a lovely gift to make and give to my girlfriends!!! stay warm bella!!!

Eileen February 9, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Why have I never thought to combine chocolate and strawberries quite like this? Baking them into a quickbread is GENIUS.

Kim@hungryhealthygirl February 9, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Chocolate covered strawberries is a good idea in any recipe, but especially bread… Brilliant!

Cinnamon @ eatpraytri February 9, 2013 at 9:14 pm

im in all sun. loving it. I also love eating guac for lunch. what is the military version of Target? That has got me curious.

Baking Serendipity February 9, 2013 at 9:15 pm

The px!

Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations February 10, 2013 at 10:21 am

What a great idea to make even bread valentines-y. Love it!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 10, 2013 at 11:31 am

What a great idea to use chocolate covered strawberries! I love it!!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts February 10, 2013 at 12:28 pm

We got 1/2 inch of snow in Colorado yesterday, and it is pretty much already melted and gone. Love sunny places without snow!
This bread looks amazing. Love chocolate covered strawberries, what a fun way to use them!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate February 10, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I know what you mean– after living in Pennsylvania for a few years, we’re back in the South, and I feel a distinct giddiness when there’s SNOW up north and we’re getting sun. I’m a horrible person. :-)

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings February 11, 2013 at 8:50 am

I did this bread in my life– completely agree about the snow :)

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction February 11, 2013 at 9:11 am

Love that you covered the strawberries in chocolate before adding them to the batter!

Kristen @ Swanky Dietitian February 11, 2013 at 10:30 pm

This bread looks fabulous!!
I love chocolate covered strawberries and this takes it to a whole other level. YUM!

angela @ another bite please February 12, 2013 at 2:08 pm

oh this would be such a treat…chocolate covered strawberries in the bread. lovin that idea…ps I enjoy snow too pps now that i have kids fun to watch them play :-)

Jennie @themessybakerblog February 14, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Wow! This is such a brilliant recipe. The bread looks amazing. Have fun with your sister in the warm sun.