Browned Butter, Chocolate Chip and Cinnamon Almond Skillet Cookie

February 5, 2013 · 16 comments

Browned Butter, Chocolate Chip and Cinnamon Almond Skillet Cookie | Baking Serendipity

I’ve been in this space for two and half (!!) years now. Which really only means…it’s time I come clean on some things.

I really don’t like washing my hair. I dunno. Just…hate it. It’s maybe for the best that a style too short for ponytails works best on me.

I yell at the tv the same way during the Bachelor that I do during football games. Yikes.

I want to like red wine. I want to keep my car clean. I have the best intentions of brushing this dog so he doesn’t shed all over my house every day. (To be fair, this is seriously difficult when it’s cold out.)

And, about the red wine…I’m definitely getting there.

I sometimes make chocolate chip cookies in cast iron skillets on weeknights…simply because I can’t stop thinking about them.

This is really too much cookie for two people.

But I’m all about it anyway.

Also…I can’t stop with these cinnamon glazed almonds. I’m nearing the end of my stash…which is probably a good thing.

Normally, I’m not alright with nuts in chocolate chip cookies (when they’re in standard cookie form). But baking the dough in a skillet makes for a thicker bar cookie that chopped cinnamon almonds fit perfectly in.

Another thing. This skillet cookie is made with browned butter. I wanted to brown the butter, mix the ingredients and bake the dough all in the same skillet, but I had a vision of flour everywhere. This is really the only time responsibility was related to cookies. Once is enough, I think…really.

The fact is this. Skillet cookies on weeknights are their own sort of trouble. But when browned butter and cinnamon is involved too?

I’ll wash my hair in exchange for a (giant) piece. It’s the most awkward form of bribery ever. Whatevs.

Browned Butter, Chocolate Chip and Cinnamon Almond Skillet Cookie
recipe adapted from Nestle Tollhouse

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, browned
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup cinnamon glazed almonds, chopped (something like this)
sea salt, to sprinkle

Brown butter and set aside to cool. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla and sugars. Add butter (when cool) and stir gently to combine. Add flour, baking soda and salt, stirring to combine. Fold in chocolate chips and cinnamon almonds. Press dough into an ungreased cast iron skillet, and bake in a 375° oven for 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle with sea salt immediately upon removing from oven. Let cool slightly before serving. Store leftover cookie in an airtight container.

Vicki @ WITK February 5, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I used to get together with girlfriends during grad school and we’d watch the bachelor and yell at everyone on the screen! I would have totally made this cookie and brought it to bachelor night, it looks so good and perfect to share!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust February 5, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Oh the dog hair. It just adds texture to clothing and food…right?

This cookie is amazing!

Cinnamon @ eatpraytri February 6, 2013 at 12:38 am

i yelled at the bachelor today. those girls need some of these cookies!

Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations February 6, 2013 at 2:09 am

I love how you describe these as being like a cookie bar. Mmmm….I want to bite into a piece now and I totally love nuts in my cookies :)

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake February 6, 2013 at 6:11 am

Yum!!! I made a skillet cookie once before but this looks a million times better!

Emily @ Life on Food February 6, 2013 at 6:18 am

Skillet cookies are hard for me. Once the dough is done I tend to start snacking. Soon the dough is not enough to cover the pan.

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! February 6, 2013 at 7:03 am

The Bachelor totally sucks you in! Each season I say I’m not going to watch it because it’s ridiculous, and then somehow…somehow…I watch most of the episodes.
This skillet cookie looks soooo good!!!!!

Simply Life February 6, 2013 at 7:26 am

oh wow! i would looooove to have these any night of the week!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 6, 2013 at 7:44 am

I don’t like washing my hair either! It’s actually better for you if you don’t do it everyday! As for dog hair, dam my house has dog hair tumbleweed everywhere. I swear I vacuum almost everyday!!!

Your skillet cookie looks amazing! I wish I saw this last night! I made my Husband traditional chocolate chip cookies for his lunches this week! He would have loved your skillet cookie!

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings February 6, 2013 at 8:36 am

that looks better than the breakfast that i just had…yum!

Cassie | Bake Your Day February 6, 2013 at 8:46 am

Mmmm. I just browned some butter yesterday. It makes everything better!

Autumn@Good Eats Girl February 6, 2013 at 9:25 am

This cookie looks like the perfect form of bribery! I’ve decided that my car will never be kept clean…I try and try. It just never happens. As for the red wine…I used to hate it. Now, I love it….try a red blend. You’ll get there!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction February 6, 2013 at 10:22 am

This is the perfect amount of cookie for two people!

Kristen@ Swanky Dietitian February 6, 2013 at 11:21 am

I love cookies from restaurants served in a skillet! I never thought to make them out home. This could be really dangerous!! This looks soooo good!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. February 6, 2013 at 10:17 pm

You know, I haven’t made a skillet cookie. This looks so good (and dangerous!)!

Jennie @themessybakerblog February 14, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Food thoughts are half my problem. I can’t stop thinking about said dessert, so I proceed to eat it. This skillet cookie looks scrumptious; I can see why you couldn’t stop thinking about it.