Cinnamon Almond Pancakes

January 24, 2013 · 16 comments

Cinnamon Almond Pancakes | Baking Serendipity

There is an out of control amount of salt on the roads in my neighborhood.

The last time I lived in Ohio this was almost irrelevant to me. But now…when I’m living with a dog who walks through the salt every morning, licks it off his paws and then can’t keep down his breakfast…I’m seriously aware and concerned and trying not to cry every 8:00 am. (It’s been altogether unsuccessful.)

Cinnamon Almond Pancakes | Baking Serendipity

This is not the place where I want to talk about sick dogs and complain about winter. It’s just all over my brain these days. And so…I’m just here to tell you that I’ve been leaning hard on prayer and pancakes this week. These are the tricks I know to turn the day around. It’s just real life.

Here’s what I love most about these pancakes. Almond extract! I discovered this magic in the fall in cakes and scones, and I want to eat a pancake for every day I waited to get it into pancakes. It’s a game changer.

In addition to almond extract, these pancakes are studded with chopped, glazed cinnamon almonds. They’re a leftover holiday treat I just keep sneaking into everything I can.

Cinnamon Almond Pancakes | Baking Serendipity

One more thing…coconut oil instead of canola.

These pancakes are all about little changes, combined for in your face flavor. Also, they’re fairly dense. It’s best to go a little heavier on the maple syrup…which I have exactly no trouble with. Especially on stressed out mornings.

Cinnamon Almond Pancakes | Baking Serendipity

Cinnamon Almond Pancakes

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup chopped, glazed almonds

Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium sized mixing bowl. Add milk, beaten eggs, coconut oil and almond extract and stir just to combine. Fold in glazed almonds. Spoon batter onto a hot, greased griddle. Cook until edges begin to dry and flip, cooking evenly on both sides. Serve with warm maple syrup.

Monet January 24, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Yuck. I hate when they salt the roads like that. So bad for our puppies. But pancakes and prayer? I think we can all use more of that. Thank you for sharing. These look just perfect.

Aimee @ ShugarySweets January 24, 2013 at 8:30 pm

These look so moist and delicious!!!

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! January 24, 2013 at 9:21 pm

I love the changes in this recipe! The addition of the glazed almonds sounds amazing!!

Denise January 24, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Yum! Those look so good! I have never used coconut oil in pancakes before…will have to give it a go ;)

Cassie | Bake Your Day January 24, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I Love this combination of flavors. And I love your pancake recipes!

Julia {The Roasted Root} January 25, 2013 at 12:11 am

Yum, these looks so moist and tasty! I love cinnamon and almond and bet these turn out great!!

sally @ sallys baking addiction January 25, 2013 at 9:11 am

cinnamon glazed almonds – wow. that sounds like perfection right about now. :) I want a huge stack of these with my tea this morning. Perfect way to start the friday.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 25, 2013 at 9:47 am

Uhhhh, your poor pup! that’s horrible! I always hated when they salt the roads and walk ways! They should use sand, it’s cleaner and better!! The pancakes look incredible!! I love cinnamon and almonds together! Yummy!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet January 25, 2013 at 11:27 am

I want these for breakfast! YUM!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts January 25, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Definitely need these pancakes!
You need doggy shoes :) I dont’ have dogs, but I know my FIL keeps a towel by the door and as soon as they come in, he wipes the dogs feet off. Just an idea.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust January 25, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Okay those cinnamon almonds, OMG in pancakes? GENIUS. And I’m so sorry about your doggy. :(

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes January 25, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Prayer and pancakes….works for me!!! :) Sorry about your dog and the salt :(

Nicole @ youngbrokeandhungry January 25, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I never had to deal with salt on the roadways but it sounds like a pain. I love the addition of cinnamon almonds in these pancakes though! Perfect for a cold morning.

Rachel January 25, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I love almond extract so much! Sometimes when I’m digging through my spice drawer I’ll come across it and can’t help but take a whiff…that’s not weird…right?

These pancakes look fab!

Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations January 26, 2013 at 10:28 am

Mmm…I love roasted almonds. I think its would be a wonderful addition to pancakes. I love crunch in most of my food!

angela @ another bite please January 28, 2013 at 7:46 am

oooo…these sound good…and the addition of almond abstract. great idea. and lol we have crazy amounts of salt the roads here in WI…and crazy cold.