Chocolate and Peanut Butter Quinoa Bites

January 3, 2013 · 12 comments

Chocolate and Peanut Butter Quinoa Bites | Baking Serendipity

2013. You’re three days old.

And in just three days, I’ve managed to almost fall on ice more times than I can count. I’ve purchased mittens that fit over gloves that don’t let my hands move but almost keep them warm. And I’ve seriously contemplated wearing my Under Armor sweatshirt into the office everyday…and not even because it feels like lazy, cozy Christmas break again.

I’ve needed a serious attitude adjustment…one that embraces the cold a little better. And tells my whiny voice to shut its face already.

So I added chocolate to quinoa. And then peanut butter. Dried cherries and coconut were involved too…because at one point it felt like this should become a trail mix inspired energy bite. I dunno.

Here’s the truth. This peanut butter chocolate combination is my go to when I’m just in a funk. And…I opened the oven after dinner was finished cooking and ate it standing up, in front of the heat. Then I snuck a quinoa bite for dessert. It feels like I can handle another day of this winter now.

Chocolate and Peanut Butter Quinoa Bites | Baking Serendipity

Chocolate and Peanut Butter Quinoa Bites

2 cups cooked quinoa
1/3 cup dried cherries
1/3 cup shredded coconut
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup honey

Cook quinoa and set aside to cool. Measure out two cups (mostly cooled) quinoa into a medium sized bowl and add cherries, coconut and chocolate chips. Stir to combine. (Note: Make sure your quinoa is cooled entirely if you don’t want the chocolate chips to melt. Mostly cooled will melt some, but not all.) Add peanut butter and honey and gently stir to combine. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Remove from fridge and form into small, bite-sized balls. Store in refrigerator for up to one week.

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! January 4, 2013 at 7:32 am

What a creative looking recipe. I love quinoa but haven’t made it into a dessert yet! I think these bites might need to be made in our house. ASAP. :)

CJ at Food Stories January 4, 2013 at 7:43 am

What an interesting recipe … Love this :-)

kim@hungryhealthygirl January 4, 2013 at 7:55 am

Yum…these look awesome. PB and chocolate…best combo ever!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 4, 2013 at 9:40 am

Great idea! I have been loving how verstile quinoa is and these are going into my must make pile today!!

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings January 4, 2013 at 9:46 am

Love it– these would get me out a funk too! Be careful of ice :)

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite January 4, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Sadly I’m still not into eating peanut butter! Gah! I really hope that changes in a few weeks time :) Otherwise, these look like an awesome, healthy treat!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts January 4, 2013 at 8:19 pm

What an interesting idea – love the idea of quinoa in desserts.
I hate the cold, I don’t blame you at all!

Lawyer Loves Lunch January 4, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I feel like such a wimp for complaining about California winters but darn it, it’s cold! Clearly, I need some chocolate quinoa bites to get me through this “winter” :) Happy New Year!

Cinnamon @ eatpraytri January 6, 2013 at 1:19 am

this looks really interesting. I would leave out the coconut just b/c that’s how I roll. But I am with you, Chocolate and PB are my go to when I am in a funk. Or when I am feeling good. pretty much all times. ;-)

Autumn@Good Eats Girl January 6, 2013 at 1:55 pm

These sound like they would make any bad mood better! YUM! And I also hate the cold, but continue to live in the midwest!

Monet January 6, 2013 at 6:41 pm

What a delicious idea! I’m also trying to adjust to the cold…and I’m slowly getting happier about putting on all those layers! Thank you for sharing…what a nice way to end my weekend (and get ready for dessert!) I hope you have a wonderful week!

Gwen @SimplyHealthyFamily January 7, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Yuck! I can’t imagine it being that cold all the time. I’m lucky to live in Phoenix… you can make fun of my in July. ;)

These look great. Adding them to my healthy snack list.