Cookies and Cream Crinkle Cookies

December 9, 2012 · 18 comments

It’s time to get serious about this holiday season.

(Right now, you’re either way ahead of me…or I’m making you stress a little extra.) (Can I say I’m sorry with cookies?)

The truth is, it’s sometimes better to wait until enough red wine and peppermint are in you to really get started on things. And…the other truth is, this is the time of year when a cookie diet is acceptable. Encouraged maybe. And that sort of thing is not one to put off.

Let’s jump into this cookie mess with two feet…in the shallow end.

This looks like taking an old, favorite cookie, and twisting it to make it new. It’s equal parts reliable/fancypants/delicious. Really this means…it’s the place to begin.

Crinkle cookies are a rich, chocolate cookie that uses oil instead of butter as its fat and takes a roll in powdered sugar before baking. As the cookies spread in the oven, the powdered sugar stretches, giving the cookie a crinkled snow look.

I like this…but there’s always room for Oreos. (Can this be a life motto?)

Cookies and cream Hershey kisses are chopped and folded into the dough, just after the standard recipe has come together. This is the part where I should tell you…chopping up kisses is an awkward thing to do. Buying the Hershey bars would be a much more effective way to go about this. But the kisses work too.

The dough rests in the fridge forever…or overnight. I’m not sure where the patience for this comes from…but it’s worth it.

Then, instead of rolling the dough balls in powdered sugar, they’re rolled in equal parts powdered sugar and crushed Oreo cookies. The end baked result isn’t the standard white as snow look, but I’m willing to look past it for the flavor.

Now that my baking has started…it’s basically Christmas.

Get in on it.

Cookies and Cream Crinkle Cookies
recipe adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
1/4 cup canola oil
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups chopped cookies and cream chocolate
1/2 cup crushed Oreo cookies
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Melt chocolate, and combine with canola oil and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. With the mixer running on low speed, add the eggs one at a time, and vanilla, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add flour, baking powder and salt and beat on low, just to combine. Fold in chopped cookies and cream chocolate. Gather the dough into a disk (it will be sticky), wrap it in saran wrap and refrigerate overnight (or at least six hours).

Combine crushed Oreos and powdered sugar in a small bowl and set aside. Form 1″ balls of dough, and roll each in the Oreo/sugar mixture. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and bake in a preaheated 350° oven for 10 minutes. Let cool slightly before transferring to wire racks.

alyssa - life a la wife December 9, 2012 at 8:04 pm

My husband is drooling next to me. These will be on my to-do list tomorrow!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust December 9, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Oooooh yes. These look goooood.

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! December 9, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Yesssss! I definitely need some of these cookies in my life!

Taylor December 9, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Just started my holiday baking today too, which means the holidays can now begin! I was going to make the regular, boring crinkle cookies but looks like I’m gonna need to buy some Oreos and cookies and cream Kisses!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking December 10, 2012 at 5:56 am

I love that there’s cookies and cream chocolate in these! I love chocolate crinkle cookies but the cookies and cream just sends them over the edge. :)

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings December 10, 2012 at 8:49 am

Life motto– agreed! There is always room for oreos :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers December 10, 2012 at 9:53 am

Oh Dear Heavens, do your cookies look amazing! I love crinkle cookies, but since you added oreo’s and cookies and cream, I love it even more. What agreat and creative recipe!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts December 10, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Need these now – love cookies & cream anything!!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite December 10, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Yum! I had a big baking day yesterday too and now all I want to do is make more – and more importantly – eat more (!) Christmas cookies!

Cassie | Bake Your Day December 10, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Crinkle cookies are the best, these look phenomenal!

Amber {Sprinkled With Flour} December 10, 2012 at 7:30 pm

My son really loves anything cookies and cream, so these cookies would be right up his alley! They sound delicious. :)

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake December 10, 2012 at 8:08 pm

These look wonderful; I definitely want to try them!

Emily @ Life on Food December 11, 2012 at 8:09 am

I think a cookie diet could be the next big thing.

Kitchen Belleicious December 11, 2012 at 8:11 am

cookies and cream is my favorite! I love oreos, love it in my ice cream and cakes and now cookies? that is just genius

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes December 11, 2012 at 1:47 pm

These cookies look so good! I’m wayyyyy behind in my holiday baking this year :(

Jennie @themessybakerblog December 12, 2012 at 11:34 am

I like your motto! These look scrumptious. I love cookie diets!

Dave December 14, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I made these last night for a Christmas party and they turned out perfect! Hopefully there are enough left for the party…

Baking Serendipity December 15, 2012 at 11:41 am

:) hope they were a hit!