Apple-Brie-Honey Bites

November 28, 2012 · 19 comments

I’m kind of a rule follower…to the extreme. It’s a personality trait I sometimes don’t even know what to do with.

Standing on the wall at recess was my elementary school worst nightmare. And only answering the odd questions in the algebra homework (when it was supposed to be the evens) had the potential to ruin ninth grade entirely.

Looking back…it was really the out of control, hairsprayed bangs that destroyed things.

Also…last year, I was definitely all over Pinterest when I was supposed to be doing something with new common core standards and old curriculum maps. It happened once…but this is still in my head. I’m a disaster at rule breaking.

And yet…there’s still apples all over this place.

It feels like time for peppermint. Time for chocolate. Time for too many cookies (after dinner plates are cleared).

This might be like wearing white before Memorial Day. Or Easter? Is this even a rule?

What I really mean is…it’s hard for me to put apples in your face and say deal with it.

This is why there’s melty brie involved. And warm, crusty bread. And a generous drizzle of honey.

I think it’s forgivable. (And time I buy candy canes already.)

You should know…I like this as an appetizer, but also as dinner (with wine, on a single lady evening).

A fresh baguette is sliced, topped with crisp apple, a generous slice of brie and drizzle of honey. It bakes just long enough to give the bread a crunch and melt the cheese.

I think I could exist on melted brie.

If it weren’t for all the food pyramid rules. And chocolate.

Apple-Brie-Honey Bites

1/2 baguette
1 medium apple
4-6 ounces brie
1-2 tablespoons honey

Slice baguette, apple and brie. Spread bread on a baking sheet, and layer with apple, then brie. Drizzle with honey, and bake in a preheated 375° oven for 8-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately. (This served 3-4, as a quick appetizer before lunch.)

lisa @ early morning run November 28, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Wow, this looks absolutely amazing! Definitely going to try this as soon as I can get my hands on a baguette and some brie! Thanks for sharing!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 28, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Omg, yum! I LOOOOOVE brie!

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! November 28, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Nooooooo, you didn’t! Boy, does this look good! Love this idea!

Ari @ Ari's Menu November 28, 2012 at 10:13 pm

When I was in college, my favorite wine bar had a cheese and honeycomb plate. Fresh bread + brie + honey is amazing as is, but you had to go and add a crunchy apple in there?? It looks like perfection.

Simply Life November 29, 2012 at 7:29 am

oh I would definitely eat a bunch of these with a glass of wine and think it was the best dinner!

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings November 29, 2012 at 8:34 am

yum! this would be great for my next girls’ night!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite November 29, 2012 at 12:24 pm

so so good! my other favorite is sliced blue cheese with a drizzle of honey on cracker…never gets old!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust November 29, 2012 at 8:48 pm

This is going to be my newest favorite appetizer. I love apples and brie, any time of year. I’m a rule follower too. Sometimes it is so annoying. ;)

Cassie | Bake Your Day November 29, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Apple and brie go so well together, huh?! These look so good. I love a simple holiday appetizer, these will fit the bill perfectly!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes November 30, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I love brie cheese! This is an awesome idea..

Jennie @themessybakerblog November 30, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Yum, these look so good. I love apples and brie together. Great combo!

Cinnamon @ eatpraytri November 30, 2012 at 9:39 pm

ummm this will be lunch next week. Maybe twice. Rules schmules. ;-)

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. November 30, 2012 at 11:15 pm

This is totally something I would make dinner on a single lady evening!

Monet December 2, 2012 at 9:18 am

I would totally eat this for dinner (and for lunch and for breakfast!) Thank you for sharing! I’m sorry I’ve been so absent. Between moving (and feeling quite sick) I’m just now catching up to over a month of blog-reading! I hope you are doing well. It feels good to be back :-)

Emily @ Life on Food December 2, 2012 at 11:35 am

I love brie and apple and honey together. I just made baked brie and ate it with apples for lunch. These are lovely! People need to recognize cheese as dinner more often.

Julia {The Roasted Root} December 2, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Oooooh they’re so melty and delicious! I want one right now! I only recently tried baked brie cheese and found it to be wooooooooooooorlds different and better than brie that isn’t all warm and melty. Love this appetizer – perfect for a holiday party or an evening in. :)

Kitchen Belleicious December 3, 2012 at 9:57 pm

oh for the love of brie! WOW! This looks amazing

Jennifer@The Foodery December 17, 2012 at 10:59 am

Perfectly simple and delicious! :D

Martie December 20, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I’m going to try this………….looks wonderful for anytime, but I happen to be looking for some special new traditions for the holidays and this might be a good one!