Here’s the truth…my Christmas tree is still in a box…somewhere. My Christmas card design exists…in my head. (I hope this translates to ordered/signed/addressed/mailed while I’m not even paying attention.) And my gift list…let’s not even talk about that.
But! I’m sort of on top of this season. There’s butter in my fridge. Chocolate chips on my Costco list. And a scribble of dream Christmas cookie ideas…exactly everywhere in my life. I think this counts for something.
Also…my mom gave me a red sparkle nail polish that I plan on overusing this season.
Nail polish and cookies are my favorite part of late November/early December anyways.
These are the things that happened in my kitchen last holiday season. I hope they inspire you to make a mess of flour on the countertops and not even care. And to share with me what you’ll be baking/eating/loving in the weeks to come.
PS. I like baking during the holidays the most, because everything I make ends up with a story that I remember, even now. It’s an extra special nostalgia.
1. White Chocolate and Peppermint Popcorn. I stress-ate this nonstop last year while I graded finals. I sometimes miss those days…even though that sounds weird.
2. Peppermint Brownie Kiss Cupcakes. My sixth hour obsessed over these. It was a treat for being the best class for a substitute. Sometimes you rely on bribery. It’s just real life.
3. Pomegranate Cranberry Banana Bread. I made this in the quiet between Christmas and New Year’s. I love that time of year.
4. White Chocolate Cherry Shortbread. I was crazy afraid my dog would eat these right up when I sat them on the floor in front of the tree for a photo shoot. By some miracle, he didn’t.
5. Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Blossoms. I made these cookies right after Christmas…when my husband and I joined a small group Bible study. They were instant friend makers.
6. Hot Chocolate Cookies. The hot chocolate I bought (at Costco) for these cookies has lived with me in three houses this year. I need to drink more hot chocolate…from a new container.
7. Dulce de Leche Chocolate Bars. I made these for my work holiday party last year. Can I just tell you…I miss the people I used to work with. A lot.
Sometimes looking back is equal parts inspiration and that feeling of things you miss, but don’t want to be sad over. Do you know this? So much has changed in my life in the past year. And I’m still adjusting to it all.
But I know that there are good things to come. And, I can’t wait to show you what I’m shoving in the faces of the people I love this year. (I mean this with holiday cheer…really. It just sounds fierce.)