‘Tis the Season

November 26, 2012 · 16 comments

Here’s the truth…my Christmas tree is still in a box…somewhere. My Christmas card design exists…in my head. (I hope this translates to ordered/signed/addressed/mailed while I’m not even paying attention.) And my gift list…let’s not even talk about that.

But! I’m sort of on top of this season. There’s butter in my fridge. Chocolate chips on my Costco list. And a scribble of dream Christmas cookie ideas…exactly everywhere in my life. I think this counts for something.

Also…my mom gave me a red sparkle nail polish that I plan on overusing this season.

Nail polish and cookies are my favorite part of late November/early December anyways.

These are the things that happened in my kitchen last holiday season. I hope they inspire you to make a mess of flour on the countertops and not even care. And to share with me what you’ll be baking/eating/loving in the weeks to come.

PS. I like baking during the holidays the most, because everything I make ends up with a story that I remember, even now. It’s an extra special nostalgia.

1. White Chocolate and Peppermint Popcorn. I stress-ate this nonstop last year while I graded finals. I sometimes miss those days…even though that sounds weird.

2. Peppermint Brownie Kiss Cupcakes. My sixth hour obsessed over these. It was a treat for being the best class for a substitute. Sometimes you rely on bribery. It’s just real life.

3. Pomegranate Cranberry Banana Bread. I made this in the quiet between Christmas and New Year’s. I love that time of year.

4. White Chocolate Cherry Shortbread. I was crazy afraid my dog would eat these right up when I sat them on the floor in front of the tree for a photo shoot. By some miracle, he didn’t.

5. Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Blossoms. I made these cookies right after Christmas…when my husband and I joined a small group Bible study. They were instant friend makers.

6. Hot Chocolate Cookies. The hot chocolate I bought (at Costco) for these cookies has lived with me in three houses this year. I need to drink more hot chocolate…from a new container.

7. Dulce de Leche Chocolate Bars. I made these for my work holiday party last year. Can I just tell you…I miss the people I used to work with. A lot.

Sometimes looking back is equal parts inspiration and that feeling of things you miss, but don’t want to be sad over. Do you know this? So much has changed in my life in the past year. And I’m still adjusting to it all.

But I know that there are good things to come. And, I can’t wait to show you what I’m shoving in the faces of the people I love this year. (I mean this with holiday cheer…really. It just sounds fierce.)

kim@hungryhealthygirl November 26, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Yum! Everything looks delish. I love holiday baking too and especially love getting my kids involved. I want some of that white chocolate peppermint popcorn…right NOW!

Cassie | Bake Your Day November 26, 2012 at 9:15 pm

This is a great list, Sarah. And a fridge full of butter is the best place to start!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel November 26, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I’m clawing at my screen for that popcorn! It looks awesome. And I was super behind for the longest time this year, and suddenly in like a weekend, I got all my shopping, decorating and wrapping done. Now I’m oddly done and it isn’t even Dec 1st yet haha. Trust me, you’re not behind!

Simply Life November 27, 2012 at 7:06 am

wow! you are definitely on top of the season – these baked goods look incredible!

The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time November 27, 2012 at 7:40 am

We don’t have any of the decorations up yet either, but we have put the Christmas music on once or twice since the weekend. I usually wait until December to make the change over. I guess I like to hang on to that giving thanks glow for a little longer.

I’d definitely be giving thanks for the bread and shortbread cookies. Those popped out at me immediately.

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings November 27, 2012 at 8:45 am

YUM!! too many choices!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 27, 2012 at 9:51 am

I need one of those cupcakes! They look delish! Everything you picked out looks amazing!! I can’t wait to find out what you shove in peoples faces this year!! :)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts November 27, 2012 at 10:10 am

I am almost out of butter, and I haven’t even been baking :( I have ideas, now just to put them in action! Love your line-up and the memories to go with them.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite November 27, 2012 at 10:18 am

I love holiday baking so much, but there are so many great recipes to try and so little time! This year I plan to try your hot chocolate cookies!

amy @ fearless homemaker November 27, 2012 at 8:40 pm

ooh, the dulce de leche bars look especially tempting to me, as do the kiss cupcakes. can’t wait to hear about what you bake up this year! (and i still need to get on my tree, christmas cards, etc., too, so you aren’t alone!)

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes November 27, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Love your list! Especially those dulce de leche bars. I’ve put up my tree but that’s about all i have done for Christmas so don’t feel behind…it’s not even December yet!

Emily @ Life on Food November 28, 2012 at 8:37 am

Holiday baking is my favorite….the stories and reasons and gifting. I love your little snip-its from last year.

Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry November 28, 2012 at 9:44 am

Yum, everything looks so good! I am right there with you, I have not pulled out one Christmas decor or even thought of my Christmas cards yet… so you’re one step ahead of me!

Nicole @ The Marvelous Misadventures of a Foodie November 28, 2012 at 11:35 am

I am right there with you Sarah! No decorations out, tree not up and no shopping done.. But hey it’s not even December yet so we cant fret :)

I’ve been eyeing your white chocolate peppermint popcorn since last year – hopefully I’ll have time to make it this year!

PS- nailpolish + cookies are two of my favorite Christmas things too!

carrian November 28, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Such a great list! LOVE it all

Lawyer Loves Lunch November 28, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Agree! It’s definitely a funny thing looking back at how much things have changed. I’m certain good things are on the way! And for the record, your Peppermint Brownie Kiss Cupcakes will definitely be made in my kitchen this holiday season.