Almond Joy Scones

November 15, 2012 · 12 comments

Happiness is simple.

No…really.

It’s in the accomplishment of actually tackling the work project you most want to avoid first thing in the morning. (After you’ve detoured to Starbucks.)

It’s in excited puppies, wagging their tails and waiting for you at the door.

It’s in new nail polish. Using morning walks as time to pray. And scones for breakfast…with milky coffee and someone you love next to you at the table.

I hope you know that this life is never perfect…but sometimes it is.

Do you get it?

Little Almond Joy candy bars are exactly all that remain of our Halloween candy leftovers. They’re kind of the ugly stepsister candy in this house. For no good reason! Good things can happen when almonds, coconut and chocolate (definitely chocolate) are involved.

Like scones.

Almond Joys are (obviously) chopped and folded into this dough. But it’s best not to stop there. For an extra kick of coconut, coconut oil is left in its solid state and cut into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender. It’s a simple stray from a butter fat, but it makes a serious flavor difference.

To emphasize the almonds, almond extract replaces vanilla. I don’t bake enough with almond extract. These scones taught me this.

If you’re the type to throw slivered almonds or extra chocolate at this too, I like your style. Also, you have a better stocked pantry than me. It’s just the facts.

Here’s the deal…the chocolate that is in these scones melts into the coconut oil and highlights a dense, crumbly scone.

I can’t get enough of these. Seriously…it’s the good life.

Almond Joy Scones
recipe adapted from health.com

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons coconut oil, solid
1/3 cup milk
1 egg
2 teaspoons almond extract
1/2 cup chopped Almond Joy candy bars

In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in coconut oil using a pastry blender or two knives. In a separate, smaller bowl, combine milk, egg and almond extract. Add to dry ingredients and stir just to combine. Fold in chopped candy bar and press dough into a circle on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cut into 6-8 triangles. Bake in a preheated 400° oven for 15 minutes. Cut, using the guiding lines, all the way through. Store in an airtight container.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust November 15, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I want these NOW. I have no more Almond Joys left. *weeping*

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! November 15, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Such a creative recipe! And I love how the coconut oil kicks the coconut flavor up a notch! :)

Lisa November 16, 2012 at 6:33 am

You had me at Almond Joy! (though I will use Mounds, since I like my chocolate dark).
I, too, love the flavor that almond extract adds; I look for baking recipes that use almond paste, too.

Taylor November 16, 2012 at 8:21 am

No matter how bad of a day I’m having, my dog and her wagging tail never fails to make me happy when I get home! Almond Joy is one of my favorite candy!! These look so yummy!!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 16, 2012 at 9:55 am

I love how you start your day!! I wake up and think, ugh I have to go to work!! I want to wake up, take a walk and have Almond Joy Scones. In our house Almond Joys and Peppermint Patties are the first to go. I steal the Reese’s and hide them in the freezer. My Husban over id buying nered this year, so I’m trying to thik of a recipe where I can use them.

Rachel November 16, 2012 at 10:02 am

I love Almond Joy! And think they are perfect for scones :) yum!

Ari @ Ari's Menu November 16, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Okay I was hooked from the moment you said Almond Joy, but then I saw NO BUTTER!!! Done. On the list. Must make.

Cinnamon @ eatpraytri November 16, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I love scones but don’t like coconut. I know I’m weird. I like you though!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking November 18, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Ooh… coconut flour! Interesting mix of flours, here. Love it!

Kitchen Belleicious November 19, 2012 at 5:05 pm

i love scones and these sound terrific with the almond joy flavor! how creative you are

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts November 20, 2012 at 9:21 am

My dad’s favorite candy bar in a scone – great idea!

Jennie @themessybakerblog November 30, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I love the simple things, and I love these scones. Any baked good that incorporates candy bars is delicious in my book.