Pomegranate Brownie Chip Cookies

November 12, 2012 · 14 comments

I saw the sunrise this morning, glowing pink over the trees on the golf course behind our house.

It colored the sky when Hunter and I walked out the door for our morning walk…and disappeared behind the clouds before we returned.

I’m learning all over again that these are the things that happen in Ohio. It’s sort of a hard lesson. I think I might have gotten addicted to the sunshine in Arizona…especially in the winter months. This is trouble. I definitely know it.

But the rain makes me appreciate the sun more…this is just real life. It also makes me want to drink milky tea and eat warm cookies. I dunno.

These rain/cold/snow (I know it’s coming) situations make me feel like a rockstar when I leave the house. Actually going to places like the gym and grocery deserves life bonus points. Let’s just take these in the form of cookies.

I’ve adapted these brownie chip cookies before to make ice cream sandwiches, and holiday inspired peppermint magic. This time, pomegranate seeds felt like the right choice.

The bright burst of juice and crunch offset an otherwise soft and chewy cookie, made from a simple boxed brownie mix. The brownie base keeps things chocolate-y, without getting out of control. Like everything in life, it’s about balance.

I like to involve milk with these cookies. (Balance.)

Now…can you tell the sunshine/rain to balance already…in the favor of the sun?

Thanks.

Brownie Chip Cookies with Pomegranate Seeds
recipe adapted from Nancy

1 box Pillsbury fudge brownie mix
1/4 cup canola oil
2 eggs
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds

Combine brownie mix, eggs and oil in a large mixing bowl. Beat with a spoon, about 50 strokes. Stir in chocolate chips and pomegranate seeds. (The batter should be thick, making this somewhat difficult.) Bake for 8-10 minutes in a preheated 350° oven. When cookies are ready to be removed from the oven, they will still be soft to the touch. Cool slightly on cookie sheet before transferring to wire rack.

Tracy Wood November 12, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Great combo of flavors! Yum. As far as sunshine here in the Mid-west…. you probably won’t see much of it for a while. Hang in there. :)

Cassie | Bake Your Day November 12, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Brownie cookies! I want them all. Love the pomegranate seeds too!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. November 12, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Well, you win me over just with the brownie part of this cookie, but then you went and added pom seeds and now it’s even better!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust November 12, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I really need to get me a pomegranate. You know I haven’t had one in years?? In brownies, glorious. I admire you for living somewhere it snows. Brrrrr.

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction November 13, 2012 at 10:29 am

What a great flavor combination for cookies!!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts November 13, 2012 at 11:38 am

I love brownie cookie – the pomegranate seeds are a wonderful fall addition!

Cinnamon @ eatpraytri November 13, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I totally agree. The rain always makes me appreciate the sun. I need to find pomegranate seeds. They are hard to come by.

Baking Serendipity November 13, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I just pick them out of the pomegranate. Total pain…but worth it!

The Mom Chef November 13, 2012 at 9:52 pm

One of the reasons I left Chicago was that I couldn’t handle the sunless days anymore. It gets so sepressing after a while. These brownie cookies would have helped a few decades ago, that’s for sure. They look amazing.

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel November 13, 2012 at 10:23 pm

OMG, please don’t think I’m crazy but there’s totally a face in the cookie from the second picture. He has little pom eyes! So cute haha. These look outrageously good. Brownie cookies? Hello, awesome.

Anna @ On Anna's Plate November 14, 2012 at 8:13 am

I’m always looking for ways to bake with pomegranate seeds during this time– these look so tasty!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking November 14, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I went from Texas to the greyest city EVER. I swear. They even have a sunless day report on the radio. “Today is the 15th day in a row without sun…” Yeah. Great.

Anyway, these look fantastic! I’ve never had pomegranate anything. I need to try to find one!

Food Lover November 18, 2012 at 5:49 am

They look great, I love pomegranate and chocolate but never thought of putting them together, thanks for sharing :)