Apple Pomegranate Scones

October 25, 2012 · 11 comments

There are two things I keep hearing about non-stop.

One. Feeny is on Grey’s, throwing advice all around. Two. The book One Thousand Gifts (Ann Voskamp) will change my life.

Okay, three. Vote for…everyone.

The truth is, I don’t want to think about politics. But life advice from smart people…bring it on.

I haven’t watched Grey’s Anatomy in a really long time. But I made a mental note (which looks like a calendar item, highlighted green (I dunno) in my old school, not linked to an app planner (that I can’t live without)) to watch it this week.

Then I started reading One Thousand Gifts. And kind of never stopped. Which is to say…let’s not talk about what time I went to bed last night.

I don’t even need Feeny. (And not just because Grey’s is on way past tonight’s bedtime.) Everyone is right…this book is changing my life. Because it’s changing me, the way I see the little (and big) things in every day and the way I know God.

Trust me when I tell you…this book will open your heart.

I like reading it snuggled in bed when I think just one more page! for an hour. But like any good book, it’s equally perfect with a cup of coffee, a scone and a notepad first thing in the morning.

I checked this book out from the library, but already want to buy my own copy and write all over the pages. (The English major in me feels extra literary smart when I do things like this.)

PS: You should also know. My favorite scone base comes from health.com. It’s a feel good/taste good thing. I’ve added peeled, chopped apples and pomegranate seeds to the dough this time. For the sake of fall.

The apples keep these scones from being especially dry…which is why I didn’t add a glaze, like I sometimes otherwise like to do. But! If you’re a browned butter person, I think a browned butter glaze would be all sorts of ridiculous here…in a good way.

Consider it life advice. (I’m just not as reliable as Feeny.)

Apple Pomegranate Scones
recipe adapted from health.com

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
1/3 cup pomegranate juice
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and chopped into small pieces
the seeds of 1/2 a pomegranate (about 1/4 a cup)

In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or two knives. In a separate, smaller bowl, combine pomegranate juice, egg and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and stir just to combine. Fold in chopped apple and pomegranate seeds and press dough into a circle on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cut into 6-8 triangles. Bake in a preheated 400° oven for 15 minutes. Cut, using the guiding lines, all the way through. Store in an airtight container.

Michelle (Better with Berries) October 25, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Oh my goodness, I can’t wait until pomegranates start going on sale at the store!! I’ve never combined them with apple, but it sounds like a great combination!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes October 25, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Wow. I just LOVE your blog so much! I have heard great things about that book and how it helps you to be thankful to God despite your circumstances, etc. I am gonna add it to my Christmas wish list :) I bet my mom would love it, too. Seems like her kind of book.

Love the scones and the addition of pomegranate!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers October 26, 2012 at 7:32 am

I just love scones! I love that you used apple and pomegranates!! Have a great weekend!!

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! October 26, 2012 at 7:43 am

I love healthy scones! I don’t think I’d ever think to add apple and pomegranate, but I’m glad someone thought of it! ;) These look awesome.

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet October 26, 2012 at 10:46 am

I don’t watch Grey’s since Heigl left… The book is indeed amazing. These scones – genius!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite October 26, 2012 at 11:11 am

I love scones!! I haven’t made them in ages…now you’ve got me wanting…

Jennie @themessybakerblog October 26, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I’m also an English major and, if you open any of my books, you’ll definitely find writing/highlighting throughout most most of them.

These scones look so good. I love the bits of pomegranate and apples sprinkled throughout.

Rachel @ Bakerita October 26, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I love pomegranate and apples, and together in a scone? Love the idea. Sounds delicious! Can’t wait to try this.

Diane @ life of di. October 27, 2012 at 10:40 am

I just bought One Thousand Gifts. My mom and her book club just finished it and she has told me the same thing – read that book! I’m currently reading a couple of things but I may just have to add this one as well :)

Also, I haven’t watched Grey’s in quite some time either but if Feeny is on there…I might have to add it to my regular lineup again!

claudia October 27, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I made these last night!!! De-lish! I had the Pom juice but no Pomegranate – but I did have caramel bits so I did a swap. Pomegranate Caramel Apple Scones !!!

Baking Serendipity October 27, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Yum! I love the caramel idea :)