Antioxidant Trail Mix Granola

October 10, 2012 · 10 comments

Antioxidant Trail Mix Granola

Things I’ve said way (way, way) too much lately:

Remember when I was going to leave work…an hour ago?

Two more minutes on Pinterest and then I’ll definitely go to bed. Definitely.

And also a lot of words that have to do with being cold. I just can’t stop.

The thing is, even when my life looks like chaos, I like to have the breakfast scene together.

In the mornings, I like quiet, coffee and the Bible. You knew this…right? I also like granola.

For a long time I took shortcuts and bought granola from the store. Then, that got expensive. (Except at Costco. Truth.) And then, I decided it’s best to customize my granola with things that are really only health foods. (It’s a good morning starter.)

Granola Ingredients

These antioxidants are the things that crept into my last batch of granola. I like them.

Also…can I even tell you how excited I am about pomegranates this fall? I have big time plans to make mess after mess picking out their seeds. These are the highlights in my days. (Yikes.)

Granola with Milk

I usually eat my granola over greek yogurt, or almond milk. And I store it in mason jars…because that seems prettiest, and calms my crazy brain down. I need strange, simple tricks like this.

(Half days and enough sleep and sometimes long runs help too.)

Antioxidant Trail Mix Granola

4 cups rolled oats
1 cup raw almonds, halved
1 cup pecan pieces
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup agave nectar
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup dried blueberries
the seeds of one pomegranate

In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, almonds and pecans, and set aside. In a small saucepan, combine coconut oil, agave nectar and butter and melt over medium-low heat. Pour over oats and nuts and stir to coat evenly. Spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in a preheated 325° oven for 25 minutes, stirring twice. Once cool, transfer to a clean mixing bowl. Add dark chocolate chips, dried blueberries and pomegranate seeds, and stir to combine. Transfer to mason jars (or an alternate airtight container of your choice) to store.

Michelle (Better with Berries) October 10, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Pinterest has robbed me of so much sleep! It can be hard to stop. It’s a good thing it wasn’t around my first time in college.

This granola looks great! I’ve never used Agave nectar, but I just bought some to try it out!

Vicki @ WITK October 10, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Pinterest keeps me up late at night too :) Excellent granola though, I’m loving the “anti-oxidant full” dark chocolate chips!

Cinnamon @ eatpraytri October 10, 2012 at 10:58 pm

This is why I always come back to you. One day soon when my life is put back together post move, this will be a part of it.

Monet October 10, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Yes. There are so many good things you can pack into homemade granola (and you can leave out so much of the questionable stuff) I love the idea of adding dark chocolate chips. Nothing wrong with a little chocolate in the morning, right? Thank you for sharing!

The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time October 11, 2012 at 8:20 am

I haven’t allowed Pinterest to take over my life. In fact, I’ve backed way, way off the computer in general. No worries though, there are plenty of other things that take my time away from what I should be doing.

I love granola. It’s one of the few cereals that feels….substantial…when I eat it. I’d have to leave out the chocolate (blech), but I do have a pomegranate sitting on the counter right now!

Cassie October 11, 2012 at 10:16 am

Homemade granola is the best!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts October 11, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Love the pomagrante seeds! They are one of my favorite things!

amy @ fearless homemaker October 11, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I love pomegranates, too, so i’m happy to see them in here! I’m also happy to see the dark choco chips, of course. YUM! =)

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes October 11, 2012 at 10:09 pm

i’ll have to try this. You’re right – granola at the store is SO expensive!