Several Things to do with Leftover Pumpkin

October 3, 2012 · 14 comments

1/2 cup pumpkin

When I claim I’m into all things fall, I probably actually mean, I’m obsessed with sneaking pumpkin into nearly every recipe and figuring out an outfit that makes riding boots look professional enough for work (it’s not skinny jeans. right?).

I’m also particularly into infinity scarves. And apples.

This cold weather thing…yikes. I forgot fall was 50 degrees.

Also. Will you tell me what to wear to a wedding when it’s 50 degrees? My brain is blank. And this is a real life problem. I’m willing to trade pumpkin recipes. In particular, ones that make good use of the leftover pumpkin from one recipe stuck in the fridge…which is a sometimes a tricky situation too. Just one that I’m better at dealing with.

Let’s turn pumpkin leftovers into breakfast. Stirred into breakfast quinoa with a sprinkle of mini chocolate chips and brown sugar is my favorite quick morning meal.

Pumpkin cinnamon rolls involve yeast and time and slowing down. Sometimes that’s just what we need.

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

Breakfast isn’t breakfast without a latte. Pumpkin spice lattes can be made at home…in pajamas, when the thought of driving for a fancy coffee is just too much.

Pumpkin in macaroni and cheese? I’m for real. Just do it.

Pumpkin chocolate chip dough balls are a fall imitation of Mama Pea’s dough balls.There’s a serious brown butter/brown sugar situation going on here. Enough said.

Pumpkin Dough Balls

Sugar donut muffins with pumpkin and extra cinnamon are a breakfast/dessert/snack hybrid.

This pumpkin thing is a definite can’t stop/won’t stop sitch. It’s just always in my fridge…which somehow means it’s really not my fault.

Michelle (Better with Berries) October 3, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I have some leftover pumpkin right now! I ‘ll have to try one of these.

I have a wedding to go to this weekend too – I’m wearing my normal attire (meaning a dress that I’ll be freezing in) but banking on the fact that I’ll be thankful once it comes time to hit the super-sweaty dance floor.

Priya October 3, 2012 at 7:36 pm

All the ideas are rocking good!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. October 4, 2012 at 12:35 am

These are all great ideas! I will take a little of everything!

Michelle @Amourbeurre October 4, 2012 at 8:45 am

Leftover pumpkin?! Ha!
But really, these look awesome, and I will have to go grab some more pumpkin from TJ’s to try those cinnamon rolls!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts October 4, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Love ideas to use up pumpkin! I have 1/2 a can in my fridge right now.

Cute dress, with a wide belt, matching knee high boots and a cardigan – perfect fall wedding outfit :)

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction October 4, 2012 at 4:11 pm

These are some great ideas!

Kristen @ Swanky Dietitian October 4, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Yes! I love this post! I am all for pumpkin in everything!!
As for what to wear to a wedding in colder weather, that is a tough one. I remember wearing tights to a wedding in winter. It actually looked really cute. Let me know what you decide.

Jen @ Savory Simple October 5, 2012 at 8:08 am

I have leftover pumpkin so this is perfect timing!

Jennie @themessybakerblog October 5, 2012 at 1:11 pm

All of these recipes sound amazing, and I’m currently obsessed with pumpkin and riding boots. I may, or may not, own 4 pairs. I refuse to admit to anything.

As for cold weather wedding gear, I’d go with a nice 3/4 sleeve dress with a pair of almost knee-high brown or black boots with a heel. I wore that to a fall wedding last year, and it worked out great. Good luck!

Elizabeth @Food Ramblings October 5, 2012 at 1:12 pm

thanks for the suggestion– I’m going to try it with breakfast quinoa!

amy @ fearless homemaker October 7, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Love this! Every time i cook with pumpkin i seem to have half a can left to use up. Will pop back here next time that happens for ideas!

Baker Street October 8, 2012 at 6:44 am

all great ideas! I surely want to start off with the pumpkin cinnamon rolls.

Cinnamon @ eatpraytri October 10, 2012 at 10:53 pm

why why why do I not like pumpkin??? Also, I’m totes jealous of your 50 degrees. We are opposites. Its like 90 here. All I want to do is wear skinny jeans and knee high boots. Not happening.

Elaine @ Cooking to Perfection October 23, 2012 at 8:30 am

There are sooo many things you can do with pumpkin! The list is endless. I love the suggestion of adding it to macaroni and cheese. I recently made a pumpkin sauce to go along with pasta/spaghetti squash and it was to die for. I’ve also been using pumpkin to make smoothies and have been adding it to my oatmeal in the mornings. :)