Pumpkin (and White Chocolate) Puppy Chow

October 1, 2012 · 13 comments

Puppy Chow with Text

In my brain, winter starts when I turn on the heat.

Mind you, it’s been winter at my house for…I think two weeks. I know. I need a new system.

If I hadn’t started baking with pumpkin in August, my brain would have missed fall entirely. I know. I maybe pushed the envelope. (What does that even mean? Slash, did I even get that saying right?)

It happens with other things too. Should I even wash my hair today? I answer this with a ponytail. You can figure that out. Also…is frozen yogurt dinner? Poptarts and wine? Yes, and yes.

I’ve mostly decided that starting early with pumpkin and fall, leaves just enough time to perfect my favorite fall treat before winter comes.

And this is definitely it. (Just barely in time.)

Pumpkin and White Chocolate

Okay. The truth is…this isn’t entirely perfect. But, I got so ridiculously excited about it this morning, I couldn’t not share it just.right.now.

Canned pumpkin is stirred into melted white chocolate, poured over Chex cereal and coated with powdered sugar and a hint of cinnamon. Just like puppy chow. But not…you know.

The trouble is, you could eat this by the handful immediately. (And by you I really mean me. You have self-control. Especially in the early morning hours…when this was made.) But seriously…the real trouble is, you should eat this by the handful. Immediately.

As time passes, the pumpkin softens the cereal and gives it that sogginess that comes after you’ve poured the milk on and someone distracted you. I’m not super crazy about this texture.

In the first few hours after this is made though, it’s still crunchy and pumpkiny and sweet. I imagine it would make the perfect treat for an evening with friends, if you had a quick second to throw it together before things began.

I miss Phoenix for reasons like this. I’d definitely bring this to our small group Bible study. And, also I would be warm.

Pumpkin (and White Chocolate) Puppy Chow

8 cups Chex cereal
10 ounces white chocolate, melted
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Measure Chex into two separate gallon sized Ziploc bags, and set aside. Melt white chocolate, then stir in pumpkin. Pour half of the chocolate and pumpkin (about 3/4 cup) into each Ziploc bag. Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to each and shake to coat. (I separated the mix into two bags to allow room for the cereal to coat evenly.) Transfer to a serving bowl and eat/serve immediately.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers October 2, 2012 at 8:09 am

Oh Baby does your puppy chow look good! I can eat it all right away, I don’t think I would want to share!

I’m sorry your missing your Friends in Phoenix! Don’t worry you’ll get new ones. I understand how hard it is, I”m from Buffalo and I moved to California and it was hard, but I got a few good friends and thats all that counts!!!

Cassie October 2, 2012 at 9:06 am

Pumpkin + white chocolate are a perfect combo. I LOVE this!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite October 2, 2012 at 9:43 am

Um I would have zero control around this, regardless of the time of day! It looks and sounds A-mazing! :)

Kristen @ Swanky Dietitian October 2, 2012 at 9:57 am

This recipe is right up my alley. I used pumpkin for the first time this fall this past weekend. I have missed it!!!
I am going to have to give this recipe a go! :)

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction October 2, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Oh, I like this variation of puppy chow! Pumpkin and white chocolate is a great combo!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic October 2, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I love white chocolate and I can imagine it must taste with pumpkin and cereal – soggy or not!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 2, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Yum!!! I’ve never made “regular” Puppy Chow, even though I’ve had it before and loved it!

Ashley - Baker by Nature October 2, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I’ve never had puppy chow, but man does it look good… gotta try this soon!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust October 2, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I SO love this idea. You can take some of my heat, we have too much! :)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts October 2, 2012 at 10:58 pm

This is amazing – love pumpkin and white chocolate together!

Raelynn October 4, 2012 at 12:37 am

Wow, that sounds awesome! This a must-try-out kinda recipe.

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel October 10, 2012 at 10:04 am

Pumpkin and white chocolate–is there a better combo?! Loving this!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking October 13, 2012 at 1:46 pm

This sounds like the most amazing thing ever! Chex needs to get their act together and start selling their stuff in Germany because I have to make this. White chocolate and pumpkin… yum! And I love that you can easily make a fraction of the recipe. Then there’ll be no sogginess. :)