Red Wine and Dark Chocolate Apple Crisp

September 28, 2012 · 16 comments

Hunter and the Sheep

This is my dog…asleep and snuggled up with his favorite toy. He’ll only lay on his sleeping bag in a tight little ball at night now. Someone else doesn’t know what to do with this cold weather either. (Is that a grammatical disaster sentence?

Yea…)

Fall Tree

This is a tree on our morning walk route. I think yesterday I noticed it just starting to turn orange at the top. And now…it makes me a little nervous for winter. But also appreciative…of today.

Apple Crisp Ingredients

This is health food.

Shut your face…this is health food.

Ohio apples simmered in red wine, and topped with an oatmeal packed crumb, studded with dark chocolate. (For health. And good measure.)

Apples Cooked in Red Wine

These are signs of fall in my life.

What’s happening in yours?

Red Wine and Dark Chocolate Apple Crisp

Red Wine and Dark Chocolate Apple Crisp

3-4 medium apples, peeled, cored and diced
1/2 cup red wine
1 cup rolled oats
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into chunks
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Peel, core and dice apples. Place in a small sauce pan with wine, and simmer over medium heat until apples are soft, stirring occasionally. (This will take about 15 minutes.) Meanwhile, combine oats, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender (or two table knives) cut in cold butter, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in chocolate chips.

Pour apples and wine in the bottom of a greased, square baking dish. Top with crumb topping and bake in a preheatd 350° oven for 15-20 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.

Hillary September 28, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I would never think to simmer the apples in wine.
GENIUS.

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes September 28, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Love the addition of the red wine and dark chocolate! Two faves of mine!

Whitney @ The Newlywed Chefs September 28, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Hi Sarah! This is SUCH a great idea. I love chocolate and apples paired together, but I’ve never tried putting chocolate in an apple crisp. Can’t wait to try it!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic September 28, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I love that you used apples, red wine, and chocolate together – 3 of my favorite things!

kim@hungryhealthygirl September 28, 2012 at 4:10 pm

What an awesome creation!! Red wine, dark chocolate and apples….could that be anymore perfect!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. September 28, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Love this so much!!! And that tree is so pretty! That is one of the things I miss most about living in Ohio, real seasons!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 29, 2012 at 9:35 am

Definitely putting this on Pinterest! I love apple crisp!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers September 29, 2012 at 10:28 am

The crisp sounds amazing! So creative, I love it!!

Life's a Bowl September 30, 2012 at 8:38 am

This looks delic, perfect for fall! I’m loving anything with apples, cinnamon, or pumpkin :) Simmering apples in wine is a fabulous idea- those simply with some vanilla ice cream and cinnamon would be a simple and sinful treat :P

Elizabeth @Food Ramblings September 30, 2012 at 9:37 am

fall- I can’t wait…thanks for sharing a picture of that tree in all its glory!

Monet September 30, 2012 at 11:39 pm

The title alone had me sold. This is such a different and exciting dessert. I can’t wait to try it. Thank you for sharing your creativity with me! I’ve been baking all day, and I’m eager for sleep, but I’ll now be dreaming sweet and delicious dreams thanks to you! I hope you have a wonderful Monday.

Baker Street October 1, 2012 at 3:18 am

What a beautiful tree! I absolutely adore the idea of chocolate and apples. Can’t wait to try your recipe. :)

TastefullyJulie October 1, 2012 at 8:42 am

I love your definition of health food! It’s very similar to mine ;)

Kitchen Belleicious October 1, 2012 at 10:12 pm

chocolate, wine, apples, crisp, what more could one ask for! It all sounds amazing and comforting and I definitely couldn’t turn down seconds

Erin @ Texanerin Baking October 13, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Wine?! Sounds interesting. And that tree is crazy beautiful.

Joy October 25, 2012 at 12:02 pm

The crisp looks great. I would never think of adding chocolate.