Moving…Things

September 12, 2012 · 20 comments

So…I was making serious progress unpacking and organizing my closet (I always start here)…until I realized I couldn’t find any of the clippy hangers for hanging pants. And now I’m sort of stuck.

(Early in the packing process, I wrote myself little notes on boxes. At the end, I was just cranky.)

After giving up on the closet, I did try for exactly three seconds to put together a bookshelf from Target…without the instructions because obviously those were thrown away after it was built the first time…almost three years ago.

Ugh.

It feels like time for oversharing about this move, drinking a glass of wine and also going to sleep.

I wish I was a better multi-tasker.

We moved our things last Saturday.

Rainy Moving Day

It rained in the morning…because it’s Ohio and that’s just what it does.

Somehow we didn’t start loading pick-up trucks until 5:30 that night. I dunno…except I do. We spent hours in Lowe’s trying to maximize a 10% off coupon with every project material we’ll ever need. This meant moving finished at midnight.

Lowe's Cart

Also…10% off is really not that great of a deal.

This is technically the first night I’m actually sleeping at this new house. Up until now I kept sleeping at my parents’ house…because they had pumpkin bagels, a coffee maker and a bed with sheets. Basically, the essentials.

Now that I’m here, it’s probably time to work on unpacking this mess already.

Truthfully, this is progress.

Truthfully again, this is just a little of the work to be done. There’s still so much at my parents’ house. I’ve been bringing it by the carload…packed around this pup.

Hunter Packed into the Car

I think he likes it here. It’s a college town, and we went for a run on campus tonight. I felt old and also not all at once. It was strange.

Also…I’m really into buying curtains these days. It turns out blankets hanging over windows sort of irritate me. And, I’m secretly wishing I could blink and my kitchen things would be unpacked, organized…and also someone will have done that first giant grocery shop for me already.

That’s moving though. Right?

PS: My favorite moving perk is getting Starbucks every morning until the coffee maker is unpacked. I might just hide that box from myself.

Emily @ Life on Food September 12, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Oh man I feel your pain. Keep up the Starbucks. It helps I am sure.

Kirsten@ My Kitchen in the Rockies September 12, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Glad to see you have such a wonderful moving helper. My chocolate lab is sound asleep right now, but after his nap he would come and help unpacking. I know he would!
Hope you will settle in quickly!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 13, 2012 at 6:33 am

Ugh, packing/moving is the worst! Hope the rest of the “process” goes smoothly.

Hillary September 13, 2012 at 7:08 am

Moving is the WORST. My boyfriend is finally moving here (after being long-distance for 5 years!) in July, and we already know we’ll probably have to move at least twice in the next year. Is it weird to be dreading a move that’s nearly a year away? Because I am.

Sending you happy unpacking thoughts!

Baking Serendipity September 13, 2012 at 7:19 am

Long distance ranks right up there with moving. Yuck! Good luck with all the changes ahead :)

Simply Life September 13, 2012 at 7:18 am

haha, love the starbucks routine- it is definitely essential while moving! can’t wait to see pictures of the progress!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers September 13, 2012 at 7:50 am

Just take your time, you’ll get it done and you will be proud of what you accomplished!! Just think of the Starbucks runs each morning!!! I do the same thing everyday at 10am. It gets me through my work day!!!

Michelle @Amourbeurre September 13, 2012 at 8:43 am

the car picture is so spot on about moving, hahahaha love it!

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings September 13, 2012 at 8:54 am

Good luck unpacking! It’s the worst! As for the clippy hangers, I bought some where you can hang 4-5 pairs of pants/skirts on one hanger– it’s awesome if you want to conserve space. Think I got them at Walmart.

Baking Serendipity September 13, 2012 at 9:41 am

Definitely keeping my eyes open for these. Thanks!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts September 13, 2012 at 10:27 am

I feel your pain! The sea of boxes and crap just never end!! We still have a couple of boxes sitting out that I don’t know what to do with. Stuff you can’t get rid of, but don’t need either – too much work!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes September 13, 2012 at 1:41 pm

This is gonna be me in a few days!! Can’t wait (ughhh) haha

amy @ fearless homemaker September 13, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Moving can definitely be stressful – just take it bit by bit, + in time, it’ll all be done. It looks like your pup is an excellent helper – that must make it a little easier to take. And totally treat yourself to all the starbucks + wine you need – you deserve it!

Baking Serendipity September 14, 2012 at 7:08 am

Wine glasses definitely need to be unpacked soon!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust September 14, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Good luck getting unpacked. Gah, it’s the worst! Definitely reward yourself with starbucks!!

Laura Dembowski September 14, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Moving is totally exhausting, but before long your new house will feel like home. And you definitely deserve to hide the coffee maker box and head to Starbucks everyday as a reward :)

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. September 14, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Well, you know I feel your pain, girl! We are a few weeks behind you, lol. Don’t you wish you could just wake up and it would all be unpacked?!

Kristen @ Swanky Dietitian September 16, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Unpacking and moving is the worst!! I love organizing so the plus of moving is getting to go through stuff, but it is still a big pain!
Hopefully, you start to feel more at home. :)

Nadia September 24, 2012 at 4:45 am

Dealing with all the mess that comes from packing and moving is the worst!

Cinnamon @ eatpraytri October 10, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Totally living this right now. Sort of. All our stuff is still in boxes. In the storage unit. So I guess this will be my life. We found the box with the kurig so the Starbucks isn’t happening for me. I should accidentally put it back in storage. Woops. ;-)