Pumpkin Bread French Toast with Cream Cheese Glaze

September 7, 2012 · 26 comments

Pumpkin Bread French Toast

I really just want to say OMG about this breakfast…and about this week. Except…OMG feels a little ridiculous. I dunno.

This week is bonkers.

I picked out paint colors for the new house…and washed walls and baseboards…and then splurged on a painter to do the rest of the hard work. My husband and I snuck into the house yesterday to see the new colors. Best.money.spent.ever.

Also…washing walls involves a lot of hours of squatting. Three days later…I’m still sore.

I had a job offer this week! And have a second round interview for another job today. I am hoping there are decisions to make this afternoon…that don’t involve what to do if it rains tomorrow and our life is in pick-up trucks and not the storage center anymore.

I kind of want to just fast forward time to where I know where I’m working and my life is organized again. I know…it’s a little bit wrong and a lot bit impossible. Which is why I made pumpkin bread to quiet my brain…and used it as a french toast base to make slowing down time ridiculously okay.

Sliced Pumpkin Bread

This pumpkin bread recipe comes from my great-grandma…a 98 year old lady who lives in her own house and knows a lot about pumpkin bread (and chocolate pie and life).

This french toast concept? I’m not sure what she’d think about it. I wasn’t totally convinced I wasn’t messing up an already perfect thing…until I took the first bite.

The usual suspects are involved here. Eggs, cream and vanilla, whisked, for dipping bread into. Except this time, it’s slices of a pumpkin quick bread. Because the bread is more moist than the stale french bread I usually use for french toast, it needs to be fried at a lower temperature, for a longer period of time. We’re slowing down life here. It’s best to just be patient.

Frying the bread on a griddle creates a slightly crunchy outer layer, but leaves the soft, crumbly bread intact inside. It’s the perfect combination.

Pumpkin Bread French Toast

A cream cheese glaze and a dusting of pumpkin pie spice is the necessary finish. You could maybe go maple syrup here…but the five minutes it takes to beat cream cheese with powdered sugar is worth it.

With a cup of coffee, this is the best way to start your weekend. Slow down, eat breakfast with your family, say a quick prayer for a Saturday morning without rain…and then come help me move?

I love you. And fall. And this breakfast. The end.

Pumpkin Bread
recipe from Grandma Edna

3 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
3 cups sugar
1 cup cooking oil (I used canola.)
2/3 cup water
4 beaten eggs
2 cups (1 small can) pumpkin

Sift flour and combine with baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice and sugar. Make a well in the center and add oil, water, beaten eggs and pumpkin. Mix thoroughly. Grease and flour two loaf pans. Pour half of batter into each. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for one hour, or until bread is done. Cool in pan 10-15 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool entirely. (Note: It’s important that your bread is cooled to room temperature when you slice it to make french toast. If it’s not, the slices will fall apart in the egg wash.)

Pumpkin Bread French Toast

6 slices pumpkin bread (make sure it is cool)
1/2 cup half and half
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Whisk half and half, egg and vanilla in a cereal bowl. Dip slices of pumpkin bread in egg wash and place on a greased griddle. Cook at 300°, flipping when the edges begin to crisp, and cooking evenly on both sides. Drizzle immediately with cream cheese glaze (below) and dust with pumpkin pie spice before serving.

Cream Cheese Glaze

4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. (I add the powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time to prevent it from exploding all over my kitchen.) Add vanilla and beat to incorporate. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) September 7, 2012 at 9:58 am

Holy deliciousness!

Heidi September 7, 2012 at 10:39 am

I absolutely adore this post! I love hearing about your great grandma and how you took one of her recipes to the next level. Great post! :)

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel September 7, 2012 at 11:20 am

Oh my gosh, this bread looks righteous! Delish :)

kim@hungryhealthygirl September 7, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Love that this is from your grandma…..98 year old grandma no less. And it looks absolutely scrumptious. I’ve never thought about using half and half for french toast; I’m sure it’s wonderful. Hope all works out for you on the job front!

Laura Dembowski September 7, 2012 at 1:18 pm

OMG! This is such an awesome idea! I love pumpkin bread and turning it into French toast is a wonderfully decadent dish :)

Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles September 7, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Looks delicious! Pumpkin bread is hands-down my favorite pumpkin-y food thing

Eileen September 7, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Pumpkin bread in french toast form? Sign me up! This sounds like a perfect leisurely weekend breakfast–preferably on a day that requires zero moving afterward. :)

Ari @ Ari's Menu September 7, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Is it Thanksgiving yet????? I did Thanksgiving brunch one year and made pumpkin bread french toast. Yours looks delicious!

Hillary September 7, 2012 at 3:17 pm

That is all.

Cassie September 7, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Ah man, moving is so stressful and unorganized. I never look forward to it, but in the end it’s all worth it! Hope you get settled soon. And this French toast – oh my goodness, so amazing!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes September 7, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Totally making this! I have had banana bread french toast, but never pumpkin bread. I love this idea

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 7, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Hope you hear good news about the job(s)!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers September 8, 2012 at 9:03 am

Yummy!! I have done this with banana bread and it is amazing, I can only imagine how wonderful it tastes with pumpkin bread!! Dam, now I need to make pumpkin bread!!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction September 8, 2012 at 9:25 am

I hope one of the jobs works out well for you!! This pumpkin french toast is amazing! What a great idea!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts September 8, 2012 at 9:49 am

I really want to say OMG about this breakfast too! I wanted to make pumpkin bread soon, and this will definitely be happening!

Elizabeth @Food Ramblings September 8, 2012 at 4:41 pm

looks like heaven!!!

The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time September 8, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Don’t forget to tell us as soon as you hear about either job, ok? I love living this part of your life through you.

I’m not a huge fan of French toast, but I adore all things pumpkin and am thrilled that you’ve included your grandmother’s recipe for that. Thank you, thank you!

Monet September 8, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I love great grandma and grandma recipes! This looks delicious. And I’m sending good thoughts your way in regards to the job. We also hired painters when we moved into our current place (I couldn’t agree more…best money spent. ever.)

Kocinerea September 8, 2012 at 10:32 pm

What a yummy breakfast! And that’s so cool that you’re having so many fun changes in your life, even if the execution of them can be a little stressful. I’m sure it’ll be a lot of fun to have a fresh new job and new house. :)

Yasmeen @ Wandering Spice September 9, 2012 at 8:13 am

Painting a new place? New job? Wow, we are in such a similar boat :)

I adore your pumpkin bread french toast. This is just the kind of beautiful indulgence I’d go for in a wacky time like this. Oh wait, now that I have the recipe I suppose I should…

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet September 9, 2012 at 12:17 pm

OMG is right! I want this for breakfast! Congrats on the job – keep us posted. Can’t wait to see the pics from your new house too! Have a great Sunday, Sarah!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust September 9, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Yummy! Using a pumpkin bread for french toast is pure genius. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for lots of good decisions. :)

Emily @ Life on Food September 9, 2012 at 8:54 pm

This pumpkin french toast is amazing! Ah-maz-ing! Good luck with the decisions.

Marta@What Should I Eat For Breakfast Today September 10, 2012 at 9:37 am

Congratulations on a job interviews – fingers crossed! And apartment – I’m during the same process, hahaha. I’m buying furnitures, organizing everything and it’s amazing! Even if you are still sore – it’s worth it!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite September 10, 2012 at 11:53 am

oh.my.goodness. I have yet to devour any pumpkin just yet this season, but I’m thinking of starting with this…

Jennie @themessybakerblog September 12, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Congrats on the job offer, and yay for this bread. Turning pumpkin bread into french toast is a genius idea, and an idea that I will be trying in the near future.

I tend to bake when I need to quiet my brain. It always feels good to stop thinking about everything for a bit, and just the task at hand. Good luck with everything!