Blueberry and Corn Quinoa Salad

July 11, 2012 · 13 comments

Blueberry and Corn Quinoa Salad with Text

We’re talking about salads today. Yea…it’s really happening.

Summer is probably the best salad inspiration that exists. Things like fresh produce everywhere and bathing suit pressure and early daylight to wake up and run outside are all sorts of salad encouragement.

And yet…I’m basically just in the mood to turn on my oven and bake chocolate in it. I dunno. It’s seemed like the thing to balance out the running. So I just went with it.

Then, this crazyface split his nail playing fetch.

Hunter with Bandaged Foot

And when he went on the running DL, I stopped running. And started needing to eat a salad already.

You probably know about this salad base already. It started in Better Homes and Gardens and made it to Pinterest…which is basically the high road to everywhere.

It pairs a slightly tart blueberry with summer sweet corn and covers it all with a cumin and lime inspired dressing. These are seriously good ideas.

Blueberry and Corn Quinoa Salad Pre-Stir

Pro-tip: Early in the season, I boil sweet corn in water with just a little sugar in it. Just in case the corn isn’t super sweet yet, I’m prepared.

Also, I added quinoa to the salad to give it a little oomph. (This is a real word. I’m entirely amazed.) With just the addition of quinoa, it stays in the side dish realm, which is usually my least favorite picnic responsibility. But! If you’re thinking a grilled chicken with a citrus marinade would be exactly perfect sliced atop this…I like where your brain is at. You’re totally welcome at my house…where old socks are impromptu dog bandages and chocolate still follows salads. (Real talk.)

Blueberry and Corn Qunioa Salad
recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens

4 ears sweet corn, husked and boiled
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 small cucumber, sliced (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 cups quinoa, cooked

2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil (I used a Mexican lime flavored oil)
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon ground cumin
pinch of sea salt

Husk and boil corn. When cooked, let sit on a plate to cool. Meanwhile, combine blueberries, sliced cucumber, diced red onion, chopped cilantro and cooked quinoa in a large bowl. (I did all my combining in a serving bowl to cut down on dishes.) Cut corn off the cob and add to the bowl. In a small mason jar (or other lidded jar), combine lime juice, olive oil, honey, cumin and sea salt and shake vigorously to combine. Pour over salad and toss to distribute evenly. Cover salad and refrigerate up to 24 hours before serving. (The longer this sits, the more time it has to marinade, and the better it is!)

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! July 11, 2012 at 10:25 am

I would never think to put blueberries and corn together. I love this! And I completely agree. All things in the summertime point to salads. :)

The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time July 11, 2012 at 10:59 am

I admit to using a sanitary napkin as a bandage when our dog ripped her dewclaw. It did a great job absorbing the blood (duh) and protecting the injury until it was able to heal.

Anyhooo, I’m on the quinoa bandwagon for real now and this looks delicious. I’m planning to head out and pick more blueberries this week and now I have another use for them. Many thanks!

Cassie July 11, 2012 at 11:58 am

Totally all over this. I might turn into quinoa yet.

Kristen @ Swanky Dietitian July 11, 2012 at 1:20 pm

This salad looks phenomenal! So refreshing!
I love love love the addition of blueberries. Can’t wait to try this.
Thanks for the tip about picmonkey. Definitely gonna try that out! :)

Emily @ Life on Food July 11, 2012 at 3:58 pm

That is one cute doggy face. Makes me want to make that look too.

em July 11, 2012 at 4:04 pm

this sounds delicious! love the idea of blueberries in a salad.

lisa @ early morning run July 11, 2012 at 9:41 pm

This looks amazing! I actually had quinoa, corn and cucumber on my salad tonight, but not mixed like this. definitely have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing!

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings July 12, 2012 at 8:42 am

Looks amazing- what a great summer salad!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts July 12, 2012 at 10:38 am

Love Quinoa – what a fun salad!

Jen L | Tartine and Apron Strings July 12, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I love the spring / summer season for exactly that reason – great produce! This salad has ALL my fave stuff – blueberry, corn, and quinoa…even my kids love this stuff!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet July 12, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Fabulous salad, Sarah! Hope your pup gets to feel better soon…

Colette @Just for Foodies July 13, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Awww, what a cute face he has. Love the blueberry-corn combo. Very fresh.

Monet July 14, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I have a carton full of blueberries, and a summer party to attend to tonight. I’ll be making this! I hope your pup is doing 100%