Triple Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

July 9, 2012 · 29 comments

Cookies Stacked with a Glass of Milk

These days, I’m seriously into taking things that already exist, fluffing them up and calling them my own.

This is a good thing…because I’m buying a house. There’s a lot of paint colors and door handles in my brain. (I’m thinking about the basics. Furniture is really expensive, actually.)

I’m trying to expand this technique into my closet world. So far, I’ve put pink shoelaces in my Nikes. If a person skilled in creating one hundred outfits with three articles of clothing wanted to train me, I’d pay them in cookies. Mostly because I’m saving money for furniture. But also because I think I have the hang of fancifying things in the kitchen.

Yea…I know I’m cheap.

Triple Chocolate Ingredients

This is the oatmeal cookie recipe on the back of the Quaker cardboard jar I buy when I consider eating oatmeal for breakfast, but then just end up with cookies instead. It’s adapted, so that my fingerprints are all over it.

First, there are two extra tablespoons of butter. Don’t be that person who questions extra butter. It balances out the ingredient ratio…because we’re adding cocoa powder too. And! A half and half white whole wheat to all purpose flour ratio is happening. The white whole wheat flour is a denser flour, so the extra butter doesn’t hurt.

(PS: I’ve fallen exactly in love with King Arthur’s white whole wheat flour. I know. You’re surprised. It’s reliable! And I like to not be let down.)

Cookies Ready for the Oven

Then, chocolate chips and cocoa nibs replace raisins and nuts. If you weren’t a nuts in your cookies person to begin with, you can do this anyway. It’s just extra chocolate. Totes necessary.

After baking, these cookies are sprinkled with sea salt. (I used a himalayan sea salt. I bought it because it was pink. Yea…I know I’m crazy too. Use the plain white sea salt if it’s what’s in your house.)

Close Up of Single Cookie

Let’s be real. Oatmeal cookie possibilities are endless. Triple chocolate is mostly just a start…but a really good one. You can adapt too. Just use your taste buds. Use King Arthur Flour. And organize my wardrobe brain. (Just some suggestions for a Monday.)

Triple Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 cups oats
1/2 cup cocoa nibs
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
sea salt, for sprinkling

Beat butter and sugars until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla, beating well after each addition. Add flours and baking soda and stir until a shaggy dough forms. Stir in cocoa powder. (I stir in the dry ingredients until they are nearly combined, and then return to the mixer for one final beating to incorporate everything smoothly and simply.) Fold in oats, cocoa nibs and chocolate chips. Refrigerate for one hour.

Drop cookies by rounded tablespoon onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in a preheated 350° oven for 9-10 minutes. Sprinkle with sea salt and let cool slightly on baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Yields: about 4 dozen cookies.

(New! See this recipe (and more to come!) at patch.com!)

Simply Life July 9, 2012 at 5:59 pm

These look like the perfect cookie to eat while contemplating paint colors… :)

Heidi @ Food Doodles July 9, 2012 at 6:13 pm

You had me at “triple chocolate”. Holy, yum! :D I’ve been wanting to try using cocoa nibs in cookies and you just reminded me of that. I bet they’re so good!

Julie @ Table for Two July 9, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Haha, like Heidi above, you had me at “triple chocolate” too! Congrats on buying a house! It’s such an accomplishment and so fun :) Paint colors are a great “chore” to do while eating those cookies!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust July 9, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Love these! I totally did something similar last year to make my chocolate zucchini oatmeal cookies. That Quaker recipe is SO awesome. Good luck with the paint and door handles… :)

Emily @ Life on Food July 9, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Oh this sounds good. I haven’t had a cookie with cocoa nibs before. Good idea! Way better than raisins.

Cassie July 9, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I love fancifying things in the kitchen, and in my closet. Because, yes I am cheap too. And who doesn’t need pink laces in her Nikes, and triple chocolate in her oatmeal cookies. Every single person does. For sure.

Taylor July 9, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I never will and never will be one against more butter…bring it on!! These look ah.maze.ing.

Reem | Simply Reem July 9, 2012 at 10:28 pm

My dear I have put orange, pink and even purple lace in my Nike!!!
These cookies look fantastic!! Triple chocolate, I am so sold!!

Back for Seconds July 9, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Extra chocolate totes necessary indeed! Love these! I recently made triple chocolate candy cookies so you know I am all about the chocolate. I will be stalking your blog from now on. Beautiful pictures and yummy food!

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts July 10, 2012 at 1:09 am

Your modifications sound perfect – I’d definitely claim them and make this yours. I am also impressed with the idea of pink sea salt. I’d be seduced by that too if I saw it in a shop :)

Medeja July 10, 2012 at 1:38 am

Chocolate and oatmeal sounds strange.. But I like them separately so I think I would like them :)

Nancy Peterman July 12, 2012 at 9:15 am

Medeha, give it a try…chocolate and oatmeal are delicious together!

Nancy Peterman July 12, 2012 at 9:15 am

Oops! Misspelled your name – how rude! Please forgive me.

Corrie Anne July 10, 2012 at 2:20 am

Love that recipe! And I generally have those things on hand which is perfect for some quick cookies!!!

Baker Street July 10, 2012 at 3:31 am

Oatmeal and chocolate is a fantastic combination and triple chocolate – YUM!

Jenny July 10, 2012 at 3:41 am

As soon as I saw the picture my mouth was watering! Super yummy chocolateness!

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! July 10, 2012 at 6:59 am

You had me at triple chocolate. Gosh these look good! I’d love one right now with my morning coffee!!!!

Kitchen Belleicious July 10, 2012 at 8:55 am

love anything chocolate and I am obsessed with cookies so chocolate cookies- triple threat! I NEED

Julia {The Roasted Root} July 10, 2012 at 8:59 am

All you’ve gotta say is “triple chocolate” and I’m there no matter the baking event. These cookies look fabulous and I love the texture of oatmeal! Definitely giving me a cookie craving, here! :)

MissMessy July 10, 2012 at 9:25 am

Wow, these look so tasty! Wish i wasn’t on a detox!

Autumn@Good Eats Girl July 10, 2012 at 10:14 am

Oatmeal and chocolate?!? Perfect combo!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic July 10, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I just remembered that I still have some cocoa nibs at home – I might have to whip these up soon! I find it hard to resist triple chocolate anything :)

Laura Dembowski July 10, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Love oatmeal cookies, though I’m allergic to chocolate :( I also love King Arthur’s White Whole Wheat Flour. I still definitely prefer regular all-purpose (still King Arthur), but for recipes that call for whole wheat flour, I use and enjoy it. Even if it won’t be making blondies or cakes all healthy in my kitchen any time soon :)

Erin @ Texanerin Baking July 10, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Wow, buying a house. I’m jealous. :) I hope everything goes well!

These cookies look awesome! And of course I appreciate the half whole wheat. :) That first pictures makes them look incredible!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts July 10, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I have that pink salt too :) Still haven’t figured out what to use it with. Now I will have to put it on cookies!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet July 11, 2012 at 6:35 am

I love when cookies come out nice and thick like that! And I’d use that salt on everything if I had it:-)

Michelle (Better with Berries) July 11, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Yummm! These look amazing! And you’re right furniture IS expensive! Even at garage sales.

Baking Serendipity July 11, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Dang it. I was totally hoping that would be my way to trick the system.