Cashew and White Chocolate Chip Pizookie with Blueberry Ice Cream

June 28, 2012 · 20 comments

Pizookie in Skillet

Growing up, my family was never really an animal family.

I remember my mom seriously emphasizing that I should not volunteer to pet sit the elementary class hermit crab over long breaks.

And my friend’s hamster stayed in our basement for one week…and only once.

The closest a dog got to living in our house was pictures of puggles (the number one pet choice in 1999) on the refrigerator.

Until I moved home…and brought the 80 pound chocolate lab beast with me. And tomorrow, my sister is bringing her bulldog to visit. The fact that it has the potential to be absolute chaos probably goes without saying.

Pizookie Dough Pressed in Cast Iron

Kind of like that hypothetical house with a hypothetical offer…not being so hypothetical. I know. It was a little bit obvious. (PS: The seller accepted our offer today!)

And this simple truth: If you’ve convinced yourself turning on the oven is a good idea when it’s seriously hot outside, it’s best to under-bake anything that goes in it. And then top it with ice cream. Especially cookies.

Pizookie and Ice Cream in Bowl

This is a simple cookie base, studded with chopped, salty cashews and sweet white chocolate chips. It’s pressed into a cast iron skillet and baked until it just begins to set.

The result is a gooey cookie mess…topped with a scoop of homemade ice cream, churned with fresh, whole blueberries.

It’s salty and sweet and frozen. It’s one of the only reasons I’d consider turning on the oven on hot days like today. And it forces people (um, my parents) to ignore the dog madness happening in their house.

I hope.

Cashew and White Chocolate Pizookie with Blueberry Ice Cream
recipe adapted from Nestle Tollhouse

1 2/3 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 egg
1 12-ounce package white chocolate chips
1 cup chopped cashews

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small mixing bowl, and set aside. In a larger bowl, beat butter and sugars until creamy. Add vanilla and egg, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Fold in white chocolate chips and chopped cashews. Press into a greased cast iron skillet and bake in a preheated 350ยบ oven for 20-25 minutes. (You want the cookie to jiggle just a little, and be slightly browned, but not fully baked.) Serve immediately, topped with ice cream.

Baker Street June 28, 2012 at 11:08 pm

ooh! I want the blueberry ice cream.. I can totally imagine the pizcookie and ice cream together would have made for an exceptional midnight treat!

Anita at Hungry Couple June 29, 2012 at 1:13 am

Ooh… We’re big fans of gooey and underdone chocolaty baked things!

teri@managedmacros June 29, 2012 at 7:06 am

WOW! Look at this combination! Truly impressive!! I need to get a cast iron skillet…I feel like I am missing out on some awesome recipes not having one. Such a beautiful paring, the cashews and blueberries!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 29, 2012 at 7:37 am

Pizookies are awesome. I’ve never made one myself, but now I just might have to give it a go!

Jen @ Savory Simple June 29, 2012 at 7:58 am

This sounds so good!

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! June 29, 2012 at 9:36 am

I ALWAYS find a reason to turn on my oven while it’s hot! At the time, I think, what am I doing?! But the results always make it worth it. I’ve never made a pizookie. Love the look of this!!

Jennie @themessybakerblog June 29, 2012 at 10:24 am

I’ve never heard of a pizookie, but now I must have one. Looks divine!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts June 29, 2012 at 11:39 am

Congrats on the house!!! I love cashews, this looks incredible! Anything that is gooey is always a win :)

corrie anne June 29, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I’ve been wanting to get a pan like that just so I can pizookies for Kevin! I know he’d love them.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust June 29, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Oh my. LOVE. That is simply amazing! And congrats on the offer…I can’t wait to hear more!

Emily @ Life on Food June 29, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Under baked cookies win in my book every time. Oh and blueberry ice cream is the number one Maine summer treat when you go to an ice cream stand. This will make any animal related problem disappear for a bit.

MissMessy June 30, 2012 at 8:50 am

Looks amazing! i don’t have the right pan for this and everytime i’ve tried it it goes wrong. Think i’ll have to invest so i can make this though!

Cassie June 30, 2012 at 8:14 pm

This is so fun. No way that dough would have even made it to the oven in this house!

Monet July 1, 2012 at 11:39 am

Oh I love topping all my baked goodies with ice cream. Makes everything better, I think! Thank you for sharing, and thank you for your words, your encouragement, and your prayers. I hope you are having a restful and peaceful Sunday. Love and hugs!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. July 1, 2012 at 8:19 pm

That looks just amazing! Topping baked goodies with ice cream is totally the way to go!

Hillary July 2, 2012 at 4:51 pm

This looks absolutely incredible. Ohmygoodness.

Laura Dembowski July 3, 2012 at 3:29 pm

This looks insanely yummy! Do you have a recipe for the ice cream as well? I would love to try blueberry ice cream. My oven is always on, even in the summer, but all the amazing things that come out of it make it so worth it!

Baking Serendipity July 4, 2012 at 8:03 pm

It’s just the basic vanilla ice cream recipe that came with my ice cream machine, and I dropped in about 1 cup of fresh blueberries. (They weren’t chopped or smashed, or anything.)

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic July 6, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Salty and sweet and frozen… yum. I wish I had a giant bowl of this right now!

em July 7, 2012 at 5:12 pm

this sounds so festive and delish. i definitely want to make homemade ice cream soon!