Blueberry Coconut Scones

June 14, 2012 · 23 comments

Blueberry Coconut Scone with Coffee

I’m kind of becoming a morning person. It’s…weird.

In my middle/high school brain, I thought morning people were the grown-ups who drank coffee.

Then, in my college brain, I thought morning people were the grown-ups who drank coffee…in the morning before jobs with rules like, no jeans except on Fridays. And were happy about it.

Now, I’m fairly certain morning people are the crazy ones who wake up early for long runs. Who like their jeans and creative brains more than a 9-5 routine. (And have to-do list worth waking up for.)

Or…who live in a house with a lot of people and just want to make sure there are scones left for breakfast.

Blueberry and Coconut

These scones lasted two days in my house…where a lot of people who claim to not like coconut live.

Pssst, family: there’s coconut flour, coconut oil and shredded coconut in here. (Really.)

There’s also a generous pile of fresh blueberries.

Blueberry Coconut Scones

And, I’m not sure there’s much better than local berries, early morning sunshine and long runs with a dog (who sprints after squirrels and drags me with him) in the summer.

Except beating your brother to the last scone. Because you’re a grown-up with scones to eat, coffee to drink and business lady things to do before 8am. (Which is early.) Boom.

Blueberry Coconut Scones

1/2 cup coconut flour*
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons coconut oil, solid
1 1/2 cups milk
1 egg
1/2 cup blueberries
1/4 cup (heaping) shredded coconut

Combine flours, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl. Using a pastry blender, or two knives, cut in solid coconut oil. When mixture resembles a coarse meal, add milk (I used almond) and egg. Stir just to moisten. Gently, fold in blueberries and shredded coconut.

Place dough on a baking sheet (ideally lined with parchment paper) and pat it into a circle that is about 1/2″ thick. Cut into 8 slices. Bake in a preheated 425° oven for 16-18 minutes.

*You could substitute all-purpose flour here if you don’t have coconut.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Pepper June 14, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I understand about switching from self hosting word press. I did the same thinh in January and I cried and cried. I did it myself and it was just a nightmare. I came home from work on a Fraiday and decided to just do it and lets just say I went to bed at 3am, went to sleep and was back at it at 6am. I cried more, but my 8am, I completed it. I ended uploading all my pages manually. Don’t even ask how I did it because I know nothing about computers. The worse part is losing e-mail subscribers, but youll get them back.

The scones look fantastic!! I love that you didn’t use butter and you used a healthy coconut oil!! Love it!

RavieNomNoms June 14, 2012 at 2:04 pm

These look amazing!! I will have to try them, I like coconut so I have a feeling I would really like them.

Isn’t it weird how you become a morning person as you get older? I have actually become that person who gets up early to go for a run haha

Michelle (Better with Berries) June 14, 2012 at 2:37 pm

LOVE the new design, girl! It is so fresh and pretty and YOU!
And you know I’m all over those blueberries :-)

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! June 14, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I love scones. And blueberries. And coconut. Yet I’ve never thought to put them all together. These look wonderful!!

Cassie June 14, 2012 at 3:10 pm

These are gorgeous. I love blueberry + coconut! Scones are the best!

Steph@stephsbitebybite June 14, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I’m totally guilty of being a morning person! Up at 4:45 to run, blog, take pictures, watch the news, get ready for work. It’s exhausting. Scones like these would be an added benefit!!

Ashlee June 14, 2012 at 5:32 pm

This is too perfect!! YUMMMMYYY

Sheila June 14, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Thanks for sharing, the scones look delicious!! The new design looks great. Becoming a morning person is what I strive for:)

Kelly June 14, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Umm I need this in my life ASAP. Amazing!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 14, 2012 at 9:22 pm

I WAS going to say that I don’t really like coconut, but I see you’ve already adressed that in this post! ;-)

Kim - Liv Life June 14, 2012 at 11:19 pm

I understand about doing the morning switch… I always used to be a night owl, but now I wake up with the sun and I like it.
What I also like is all the coconut in these scones!!!

Corrie Anne June 15, 2012 at 12:36 am

Perfect timing!! Blueberries are on sale. Great weekend breakfast/brunch idea!!

Baker Street June 15, 2012 at 6:46 am

I love the use of coconut in baked goods and these look so so good! Fabulous recipe! :)

Sara @ Saucy Dipper June 15, 2012 at 9:46 am

I definitely have a “thing” with blueberries lately. I eat them in my oatmeal, my ice cream, and, yes, my scones. Costco sells big bags of dried blueberries and those things are WONDERFUL. Anyway, back to the topic, I also enjoy coconut, so I’m pretty sure I’d get up early for these too.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. June 16, 2012 at 12:08 am

I love the new look on the blog! And these scones! Great idea to use coconut!

chelsea @ serves two June 16, 2012 at 12:09 am

found your site via foodbuzz (congrats btw!) and am so making these scones tomorrow! scones are on my kitchen bucket list so thank you in advance for helping me find a recipe that sounds delicious enough to cross it off :)

Baking Serendipity June 16, 2012 at 8:51 am

so glad you’re here! hope the scones go well :)

Erin @ Texanerin Baking June 16, 2012 at 10:00 am

Oh, I like how this has a combination of wheat and coconut flour! When I’ve used only coconut flour in something, the stuff usually came out pretty weird. It sounds like a great combination!

Sarah @ Miss CandiQuik June 19, 2012 at 10:12 am

These are made to be…I have bluberries & shredded coconut in my home right now! Totally making these this weekend. They also sound a lot *lighter* than the ones I made with about a pound of butter and cream. Ha.
Thanks for sharing (glad I found your blog)!

Buffy October 30, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Hiya, I’ve ran out of all purpose whit flour, have you ever Jed with half wholemeal half coconut flour? I’m worried they might be too dense? Whenever live tried things in the last with only wholemeal no white they turn out a little like hard rocks…

Baking Serendipity October 30, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Hmmm. Usually when I stick with all whole wheat flour, things come out really dense too. It’s worth a shot, but I definitely think it needs the all purpose for balance.

Buffy October 30, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Oop tried not Jed! I’ve not live. And past not last! Autocorrect gone wrong…