Peanut Butter and Candy Corn M&M Bars

October 31, 2011 · 19 comments

Let’s make a few things clear.

Ouiji board during indoor recess straight up scared the heck out of me. Even though I knew it was the popular kids who had their spirit stuff together moving the possessed piece. For the most part.

I was the girl attempting hibernation in her sleeping bag during scary movies at sleepovers. Unsuccessfully.

And I had to “baby-sit” anytime a haunted hayride/house/anything was the weekend activity of choice.

Halloween is…exactly the worst holiday ever in my skittish mind.

I don’t want to dress slutty. Or sew a pumpkin costume. Which is the only alternative to a lady of the night ensemble. I don’t want to give away candy to high schoolers who knock too loud and don’t even say trick-or-treat. For that matter, I don’t know about contributing the obesity epidemic overall. I want to be the Halloween grinch.

I’m entirely alright with this. I think we all need one grinchy thing. And I’d commit one hundred and ten percent to Halloween being mine. If it wasn’t for candy corn.

I think I could eat it until my teeth fell out. Which would take exactly 3.6 bags. It’s science.

My mom told me to eat candy corn with peanut butter. I listened because, well, she’s a wise woman. There was experimentation. Dough. Peanut butter. Candy corn M&M. Chocolate chip. Spoon. (It looked like that.)

And then it looked like one giant pan of cookie bar happiness. Sugared treats without tricks or costumes. I can do Halloween this way. Totes for real.

PS: In addition to eating this non-stop tomorrow night I have fantastic plans of dressing Hunter in a polo with a popped color. Treat number two. I love this dog.

Peanut Butter and Candy Corn M&M Bars
recipe adapted from Nancy

1 1/2 cups shortening
1 1/8 cups granulated sugar
1 1/8 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp water
3 eggs
3 3/8 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups candy corn M&M’s
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Cream shortening and sugars until well blended. Add peanut butter, vanilla, water and eggs and mix until combined. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet gradually, stirring well after each addition. Fold in candy corn M&M’s and chocolate chips. Press dough into a greased 9×13″ pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes.

Emily October 31, 2011 at 6:51 am

Ouiji boards always freak me out…I am not a believer but still. Creepy!

Simply Life October 31, 2011 at 7:28 am

ooh this would make me love halloween to spend the day eating these!

Lauren October 31, 2011 at 8:17 am

I hate creepy things too! Ouiji boards and halloween stuff arn’t really my thing! These bars though…definetly my thing! YUM :)

Alexis @ There She Goes October 31, 2011 at 9:35 am

i would never mess with a ouiji board! i’ve seen too many horror movies :)

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE October 31, 2011 at 9:47 am

Oh Momma! Wish I had time to make these today, they may be an after Halloween treat for us.

Roxana GreenGirl October 31, 2011 at 10:38 am

I hate scary movies, ghost trails and other creepy Halloween activities. I’d rather stay home and enjoy a couple of these treats!

Lizzy October 31, 2011 at 11:04 am

Oh, I just want a spoonful of your delicious dough! Great bars!!!!

Erin October 31, 2011 at 11:37 am

We made almost the same bars for today! I love that yours has PB! I might have to go pick up another bag to try them!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic October 31, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Candy corn with peanut butter sounds like an awesome idea! And so do these bars :)

Cassie//Bake Your Day October 31, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I’m with you on this halloween grinch thing. I will claim it, with you, as my “grinch holiday.” I’ve just never been a fan. These sound amazing, I love everything about them!

mangiabella October 31, 2011 at 3:11 pm

i want to be the halloween grinch right along with you LOL – not a fan. I was really mortified to see how provocative the costumes were for little girls even as young as 8 and 10 years old….sigh….however these pb and cc m&m bars rock!!!!!!!!

Ms. Keirn-Swanson October 31, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Every year, I pour a jar of peanuts, a big bag of M&Ms, and a bag of candy corn (and pumpkins … gotta love the pumpkins) into a large bowl and my husband and I eat it and don’t share with anyone. This year we did it twice. Of course, this year, we unwillingly shared with the dog, who grabbed our stash when we were out and ate all but the chocolate. Anyway, I’d love these bars.

Stephanie October 31, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Well, I love Halloween, but I don’t do the slutty thing. I do stupid things, like be a dinosaur with my friends and then have someone else be Jeff Goldblum and the electric fence. But, I think your mom is very wise. Candy corn and pb sounds like a great idea!

scratch-made wife October 31, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Your momma sounds like a smart lady. Who could argue with a woman who tells you to mix candy with peanut butter?

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 31, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Your mom sounds like my childhood dream mom! Haha. I love this recipe – anything with M&Ms makes me happy. I’ll often just dump them in a bag of freshly popped popcorn… they get all melt-y on the inside, which is what I’m picturing with these bard fresh out of the oven.

Kelsey October 31, 2011 at 9:22 pm

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

Parsley Sage November 1, 2011 at 9:37 am

Alright, I’ll let you be grinchy about my all time favorite holiday if you keep making bad ass bars like this. WHOA!

Autumn@Good Eats Girl November 1, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I am not a fan of scary stuff whatsoever…and Ouiji boards freak me out! Your bars look awesome though!

Evan Thomas January 1, 2012 at 11:08 pm

I’m a little late, but I don’t think there is any season where this wouldn’t be good.